• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yosemite ! how do you pronounce it ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Really? RLS, I mean - never heard anything other than Loo-ee but I will bow to you as a Scot. ��

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Don't bow to anyone; and being a Scot doesn't mean I'm infallible. Even if I was born in Edinburgh:)

This was drummed in to me at School (long, long ago, I could almost have met RLS. OK I exaggerate for effect!).

Stevenson was born at 8 Howard Place, Edinburgh, Scotland, on 13 November 1850 to Thomas Stevenson (1818–87), a leading lighthouse engineer, and his wife Margaret Isabella (née Balfour; 1829–97). He was christened Robert Lewis Balfour Stevenson. At about age 18, Stevenson was to change the spelling of "Lewis" to "Louis", and in 1873 he dropped "Balfour. Thereafter, he was known as Robert Louis (still pronounced Lewis) Stevenson. He is said to have preferred RLS.

In case you think I have some kind of warped photographic memory, I copied some of this from WikipediaO:) (Pronounced wee-kee pedia, or so I read LOL).

Life is full of tricky words.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
Having lived and worked there for 8 years (US Govt) I always got a laugh at newcomers when they tried to pronounce some of the Hawaiian names or places. My favorite was when folks referred to the "Like, Like" highway as the English prononciation of "like" as when you like something, rather than "Leakii, Leakii". Loved living there and would have stayed had it not been for an aspiring career and the desire to move upward. (So here I am in Texas, LOL)

All "e" are pronounced as the "e" in "pet" and in Hawaiian all vowels are pronounced. lee-keh lee-keh. Remember this is a proper noun, the surname of Princess Miriam Kapili Kekāuluohi Likelike, which the highway was named after.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And St. "Lewis" is in Missoura. ;)

Reaction score
As a foreigner to the USA many years ago I could never understand why Kansas is pronounced exactly as you'd expect, but add an A and R to the beginning and instead of getting Ar-kan-sas it becomes something completely different: Ar-kin-saw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Arkansaw, Missoura - southern accent

...although the southern version of Arkansas is not confined to the south.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have always heard American English is hard to learn. It's because of how we pronounce words and also how so many words are spelled and pronounced the same but mean something totally different depending on the context the word is used in. Now add to that a southern accent or a local dialect where we not only alter the pronunciation but we will but several words together and make a whole new meaning! Keeps it interesting! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that we have moved on from discussing how to pronounce "Yosemite" what about it's successor? I was a little shocked to hear an "associate" in an Apple Store pronounce it "L Cap-Tin" or "L-Cap-Ten". Isn't it obvious that "El" is not English? :eek:

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Successor to Yosemite? Haven't a clue, but given the past tendency to have single names followed by a double name (Leopard, SL, Lion, ML), then two single (Mavericks, Yosemite), then a double (El Capitan), I'm going for a single name of a place in California, but outside the park.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Successor to Yosemite? Haven't a clue, but given the past tendency to have single names followed by a double name (Leopard, SL, Lion, ML), then two single (Mavericks, Yosemite), then a double (El Capitan), I'm going for a single name of a place in California, but outside the park.

Oops! It seems you're thinking about the successor to El Capitan, although you're first phrase there mimics my post. Am I missing something?

I returned to edit my phonetic spelling of El Capitan as I heard it in the Apple Store. So if anyone is coming back to post a reaction after passing over it before, I fixed it.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, my mistake. Not yours. Didn't read your post properly; well, put the wrong interpretation on it. Apologies.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 15in. 2018, 2.9GHz i9, 32 GB
Come to New Jersey.. We'll loynya hadda tawk good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops! It seems you're thinking about the successor to El Capitan, although your

I'm mortified to read my post and discover my error, and I can't edit it now! Help! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" late 2009 (10,1) El Cap; MBP early 2011 (8,1) Mavericks
Sounds like you're an immigrant to New Jersey. An immigrant from Brooklyn.

Come to New Jersey.. We'll loynya hadda tawk good!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.