2007 MBP A1226 - Should I bother?

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a relatively old MBP, one of the first Intel models, running Mountain Lion. A few years ago my battery swelled up and I had to chuck it. I've been using the computer sans battery since, constantly plugged into an outlet. Well, now the power supply seems to be giving me issues.

I replaced a broken LCD screen years ago, and everything else is stock.

I do some video and audio editing that seems to be a little rough on it.

Basically, should I bother upgrading anything or just save up for something new?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
At 7 years of use and through all that you've been through with this MBP, it might be at the end of its road. There is certainly no reason to upgrade or spend any money on it, you should take all that and put it against a new(er) Mac. Start with the refurbished store to see if something strikes your fancy. If the cost doesn't match your budget, then you might have to go to eBay/Craigslist for a model a couple of year old..

OP
K
Reaction score
At 7 years of use and through all that you've been through with this MBP, it might be at the end of its road. There is certainly no reason to upgrade or spend any money on it, you should take all that and put it against a new(er) Mac. Start with the refurbished store to see if something strikes your fancy. If the cost doesn't match your budget, then you might have to go to eBay/Craigslist for a model a couple of year old..

Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking. I might drop 20 bucks on a new power supply just to tide me over until I get something new.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you can get an inexpensive power supply…go for it. You didn't mention how much ram it has. But if it doesn't have 4gig of ram…I would probably "spring" for a ram upgrade to 4gig. And of course (if the HD was to fail at some point)…you could replace it (they are relatively inexpensive & they can go bad on old or new computers).

Other than this…if something else goes out on it…it may not be worth replacing due to the current used value of it.

But…if you are already "itching" for something newer. Than don't spend one more $1.00 on it. But all funds towards something newer.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
It's only 2.4 of RAM.

I just heard someone might be able to hook me up with a super cheap battery and power supply that their work is giving away.

- The power supply I have is an 85W MagSafe, model A1222, and I've heard A1343 will work too. Will any other supply work?

- What specs does the battery need to have? Anything important to know other than whether it will fit into an A1226? I see batteries with as low as 5000mAH and as high as 5800mAH.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.