Can not unlock excel sheet

Reaction score
**Moving to appropriate category - sorry!

Hey all - I did a search of the forums and didn't see this topic so I hope I'm not doubling up on an already answered question.

I'm running Office for Mac 2011 with all the newest updates. I'm trying to unlock a sheet of an excel spreadsheet created by a Windows user. Every time I enter the (verified correct) password, it tells me it's incorrect.

Now, I already found a bug when the passwords are longer than 15 characters, however that's not the case here. The passwords on the locked sheets are only 3 characters.

Any ideas? Thanks!

- Nikki

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now, I already found a bug when the passwords are longer than 15 characters, however that's not the case here. The passwords on the locked sheets are only 3 characters.

Do you have a Windows machine handy? Try unlocking the sheets in Windows first, then delete the passwords. After doing that you should have no trouble opening them in Excel for Mac 2011. By the way, who uses 3 character passwords?

OP
N
Reaction score
Ha right? It's not really for security purposes - more for stupid proofing. It's a shared document, and the passwords are just more to make the person using it stop and make sure they're updating the correct tab.

So with that note, I can't unlock it on a windows machine and delete the passwords - the passwords must stay. Therefore I'm stuck trying to figure out why I'm the only one who can't seem to unlock it properly :-/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.