How Much RAM is enough

Reaction score
My new to me MacBook Pro A1260 should be here tomorrow. It only has 2gb of ram and is running OSX 10.7. I know from experience with with my Thinkpads, squeezing as much ram in there as it will possibly take in and keep cool will usually breath a little more life into an older machine. Is it the same for the Macs?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
At its heart, a Mac is like any other PC - the internals are the same parts you can find elsewhere (save for some Apple idiosyncrasies). In other words, yes, the more memory the better (to a point).

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks! All my PC friends act like I'm stepping into the Shire, Middle Earth, next door to Frodo. So far this old dinosaur (PowerBook G4) has been fairly impressive, guar a little slow, like me. While I was shopping for the new(er) one, I noticed that about half had been upped to Mavericks. Is there a real advantage? Research so far has it about 50/50. Some said it bogged down, some liked all the features. I'm soooo confused.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My new to me MacBook Pro A1260 should be here tomorrow. It only has 2gb of ram and is running OSX 10.7.

This is an older 2008 MacBook Pro. It has a 6gig of ram max. I would suggest upgrading it to at least 4gig.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.