27" iMac, mid-2010, Display Port Socket issue

Reaction score
While replacing the optical drive in my 27" iMac, I inadvertently pulled the display port cable socket off the logic board. All the pins are affixed to the board and intact... is it possible to re-attach the socket? Thanks for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible but only if you have soldering skills, a low wattage iron, lighted magnifying glass, and no other damage to the logic board was done. Even at that, it would be a very delicate undergoing that could cause damage to the board. Personally, I would take it on in or send it to a logic board repair service and let them do it. I have no idea how much something like that would cost, but I can tell you that Apple would just replace the entire logic board. Very expensive. $$

OP
M
Reaction score
Very much appreciate the speedy reply! Will look into sending to a logic board repair shop, but let me ask you about the repair: the display port socket basically lifted right off the two soldered pads on the logic board (no other damage was done), leaving all the pins intact on the board. Can the socket be re-attached to the pins and soldered back down to the pads or is it a more complicated task requiring a new socket (as effortlessly illustrated in this crazy-German-with-mad-soldering-skills-how-to iMac 21,5" 27" LVDS Display Buchse ersetzen / Reparatur / connector repair - YouTube )?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was a computer repair and electronic tech for the US government for many years, and I can tell you that repairs on boards that have surface mounted components is a very delicate task. It may be possible as I stated in my first reply to you to do the repair yourself. The fellow in the video made it look easy attaching a new connector to that board. BTW, that was the LVDS (video cable connector) on an iMac logic board.

Without actually seeing the damaged connector myself, I don't know whether you would be able to re-attach it or need a new one. Either way, it's a delicate soldering job.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
BTW, that was the LVDS (video cable connector) on an iMac logic board.

Ahh…now that you mention this…now I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I have hands on knowledge of messed up LVDS cable issues from the 27" iMac I got a while back (this was the computer that the problem ended up being a bad SATA cable).

In my case…the far left & far right pins on the LVDS cable got bent (they are so hard to see with the naked eye that I literally used a microscope to straighten them out)…then they broke off (because they are so thin & delicate)...but the computer still works fine).:)

The logic board socket for the LVDS cable…yikes…don't know how easy that would be to replace. As usual on a modern computer logic board (with components & circuits so close to each other)…not sure how someone would be able to heat the area in question enough to melt solder (get a good bond)…without overheating (damaging) surrounding components/circuits.

I'm guessing that when the 27" display panel was being removed (tilted up & outwards)…the LVDS cable wasn't disconnected first. The display panel can't be tilted more than about 45° before the LVDS cable becomes taught (at which point it needs to be disconnected at the logic board)…otherwise something goes…kerr-snap!:(

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Ah, correct, the LVDS is what I'm dealing with.

And, yeah, Nick - that's exactly what happened. Tilted her a bit past 45º, but it wasn't a violent pull - no kerr-snap - the socket was gently loosened and basically fell off the logic board. As I mentioned, all the pins are intact (and not bent), so I'm still not clear if the socket can be re-attached to the pins...

I've uploaded a pic right before the socket came off the logic board...

photo.JPG

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...that's exactly what happened. Tilted her a bit past 45º, but it wasn't a violent pull - no kerr-snap - the socket was gently loosened and basically fell off the logic board.

Sorry to hear about that. The LVDS cable is not the easiest thing to disconnect (especially if someone has larger hands)...and even harder to reattach (a lot harder). Especially when you're trying to hold the large (and somewhat heavy) 27" display panel in the other hand (at the proper angle).

Thanks for the photo. Photos always help (especially on an internet forum).:)

I've uploaded a pic right before the socket came off the logic board...

Yes...I'm looking at the photo...and I couldn't see what was wrong (everything appeared to be in its correct place). But then you did say that the pic was taken just before the socket came off.

I looked at the video you uploaded earlier. Are you saying this is what your logic board looks like now (just a bunch of pins without the cover piece)?

According to the video it looks like it can be done...but jeez...I'm thinking that the #1 thing to watch out for is overheating the logic board when desoldering & soldering. Since you definitely don't want to damage anything nearby with excessive heat.

Secondly. Finding a replacement part may not be easy (I didn't look yet). This is a pretty hard-core repair (not something even the average repair person would try). I bet very few Apple "Genius's" could even do it. They would just say..."New logic board"...cha-ching $$$!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.