iMac Display Font Size

Reaction score
I have just successfully migrated my wife and I from Windows to a pair of iMac27 computers (Mavericks). We are both using Firefox and Thunderbird. Big problem with our aging eyes - on-screen font size.

In TB, its preferences provide for enlarging the font size, but that only emerges within a message body. The message list/menu headings, etc., remain at about 8 pt, really difficult to see.

System Preferences/Display has no provision for changing font size.

System Preferences/Accessibility seems to provide only for Zoom, which we cant make work in both computers.

Suggestions would be appreciated to set on-screen font size to 16pt for 'everything'?

Regards,

Terry Smythe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have just successfully migrated my wife and I from Windows to a pair of iMac27 computers (Mavericks). We are both using Firefox and Thunderbird. Big problem with our aging eyes - on-screen font size.

There are two areas where you may want to adjust the font size:

1. Application font size.
2. Font size in the Finder (desktop).

To adjust the font size on the desktop (Finder):

- Finder
- View drop down menu
- Show View Options
- text size

To adjust font size in an application (Safari in the case):

- View drop down menu
- select "Zoom In" (the keyboard shortcut for this is command + plus keys)

HTH,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Did you try: System Preferences, Displays, and set the Resolution to "Scaled"? When Scaled is selected it allows you to adjust the size accordingly. If it doesn't cause any noticeable distortion for you and the wife, try running that way for awhile.

My eyes are probably as old or perhaps older than yours, but I run my 27" iMac at full native resolution. I just love being able to display 3 pages of a Word document on screen at 125% view so I can write and edit. I do have my glasses prescription set for computer viewing, however. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
My wife and I are in our mid-80's. I've been into desktops since mid-70's, DOS, Windows and now iMac. Except for on-screen font size, we like the iMac's, so far no aggravating pop-ups.

I've tried everything suggested, so far nothing is working. Finger trouble? In Windows, there is an "accessibility" setting to enlarge all on-screen fonts, worked great!. So far, I have not found that in our iMac's. I could not get ZOOM to work. And in Thunderbird, an increase in font size only affects the content of messages, all else still super-tiny 6-8pt characters, not nice.

Suggestions?

Regards,

Terry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.