PowerBook Restoring

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Hey... just aquired a PowerBook g4 15in 1.25 from work... for free! It was in the warehouse and marked DOA. The company I work for does not distribute or perform Apple services so I was curious as to why it was there... long story short... it's mine now.

I brought it home expecting it not to work... but I am writing this on it as we speak... ::crosses fingers:: I hope it continues to work!

Anyways, no AC Adapter in the box... it's ok... because I have a pb 12in 1.33. But also no restore cds!!

My question is... can I use a retail copy of OSX "whatever" to reload the machine... the machine is set with an admin password... I want to clear that and start fresh... and soon! I am going to hunt down the restore cds, for sure... but I want to play with this thing right now!

So... is it possible for me to restore with a copy of OSX?? And bypass that password? Any advice is helpful!

Thanks!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A retail copy of OS X will be have a full install disk. You will be able to able to do a clean install and clear the admin pass word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Just so you know, you should probably buy a new 65 watt (15" and 17" PowerBooks) power adapter. The 45 watt (both the 12" iBook and PowerBook and 14" iBook) isn't designed to provide that much power.

Don't go for the Apple one though ($80? I can get one that charges every notebook known to man for that much), try a cheaper alternative off of Amazon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.