Bluetooth for tv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
This is not an entirely Apple question, but here goes. I have the external speaker output on my tv plugged into my stereo system. This allows me to get better sound when needed, but also it allows me to use my headphones after hours, especially since I need to use a hearing aid. My hearing aid has been out for repairs this past week and so I have been using my ear buds (so I can still interact with the family) all the time and that long cable can be bothersome. What I'd like is a less than real expensive bluetooth device that would accept the phone plug mini and would allow me to be more mobile and still allow me to enjoy a louder volume without bother rest of the family. Does anyone know of such an item?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello Tape - from your description, you have your TV's sound plugged into your stereo receiver and then have wired headphones plugged into the jack from the receiver (and you turn off the speakers) - correct?

So, instead of having wired speakers, you want a 'wireless' option - well, this can be accomplished w/ multiple technologies - Bluetooth (BT) would require a transmitter plugged into your headphone jack transmitting to BT headphones - these are available but I have no specific recommendation; others may 'chime in' or you can look on Amazon for options.

Now, I used to have some Sennheiser wireless headphones (HPs) using the 900 MHz spectrum - the sound quality was terrible (just too much interference); about 3 years ago, I bought the Sennheiser HPs shown below - these use the 2.4 GHz spectrum and are wonderful w/o interference; the base unit plugs into the headphone jack of my NAD receiver, then I disable the speakers, and have 'wired free' personal sound. Now these are not cheap but if frequent use and sound quality are important to you, then a good solution.

Not sure if this answers your question - but one consideration. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 10.20.05 PM.png

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave,
Yes, you are correct with 1st paragraph facts. Because of my hearing loss, I need to increase volume, but therein lies a prob: my wife, daughter and now granddaughter are much more sensitive to sounds and have hearing like a fox, so the volume from the tv speakers needs to be on low side, although that is really only a problem when they are visiting.
The suggestion you offer seems to be the ticket and I will look into them. Thanks for your help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Tape What receiver are you using? Some have Bluetooth capability available (though usually as an add-on). The add-on module for my Yamaha ran about $75 - $100.00 so I decided I did not need it that badly.

The only reason I mention Bluetooth is that some of the other wireless headsets tend to loose signal when in proximity of wireless networks depending upon their frequency. Some of them are very good while others are not so good. Find out what kind of return policy the vendor has.

I have a Sony unit similar to the one Dave linked to above. The unit I chose costs about half what Dave's did but it shows. It sometimes picks up a noise similar to the "fade"/static sometimes heard in FM radio. I was also very disappointed with their documentation. They did not tell me for example that if the volume on the source device was set too low and you were using the heads control to raise the volume the entire unit would completely cut out. It appears as though the unit was loosing power. Took quite a bit of Googling to find that out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude,
I have a bose wave III. I have the additional CD player and not the bluetooth component. I think that is only for input, I believe. I am thinking this is the device I will need to use in some way so I can control volume separately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Slydude,
I have a bose wave III. I have the additional CD player and not the bluetooth component. I think that is only for input, I believe. I am thinking this is the device I will need to use in some way so I can control volume separately.

High again Tape - Sly.... did not give his Sony model nor the output (I suspect it is a 900 MHz unit if half the price of mine?) - all of these 'wireless' headphones (HPs) are subject to interference (which may be static, poor audio quality, or sound dropout) - check HERE for a short discussion of the 'in & outs' of these wireless units.

When I had my 900 MHz HPs, I had constant annoyances w/ these quality issues - had a 900 MHz wireless phone but not sure that was the entire problem; I could occasionally hear others talking, so I was likely picking up phone conversations close-by. This prompted me to go w/ a more expensive 2.4 GHz set (Sennheiser has a technology called KLEER built-in - not sure how this works?) which has been phenomenally clear (guess a pun ;)) - my only issue is that my den 'listening' chair is next to the kitchen and near the microwave oven, so when my wife is using the unit, I do get some interference - otherwise has worked well.

My suggestion if you do a purchase, is to make sure that you have a 'money back' guarantee, then try out the system (and whatever frequency you buy, turn on any other device in the house w/ the same wireless output) - good luck in your choice. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Dave, I think this is my Sony headset though I got them from Amazon IIRC. Mine is a refurbished unit that cost about $80.00. If I looked up the right model they are indeed operating in the 900 MHz band.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.