2010 Macbook Pro or New Macbook Pro w/Retina?

Reaction score
I currently have a DELL computer but have been looking into buying a Macbook Pro. I know someone who is selling their 2010 MacBook pro. I know him very well and he is a photographer/DJ and told me the computer is in perfect condition. He is selling it for $800 AND...it comes with a very expensive photo editor, Microsoft office and a DJ program with over 10,000 songs. The only issue is that it is a 2010, so older and the warranty is expired. He is very reliable so I know it's a good computer and the added features make this very appealing..but is it worth it or should I just buy a 2014 MacBook pro with retina display? With an education discount I could get a 13 inch for about $1,200-$1,400. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I would go with the 2014 rMBP. For ~$500 more, you'll get a much more powerful computer, and more future proof.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's some advice:

Buy the new retina MacBook Pro. I have no doubt your friend has the best intentions, however, all the extra software that's on that machine would not legally be yours. Of course if your friend gave you all the original disks and transferred the licenses to you, that would make it legal. Other than that, a 2010 MacBook Pro while still a very good machine is now behind technology wise. Buy the new machine that comes with a warranty. And by the way, Apple just refreshed the retina line so you'll be getting the latest.

Good luck with your purchase. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.