Synchronize iOS 7 (iPhone or iPad) to Exchange server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
I want to synchronize, on my private iPhone and additionally on my private ipad, the calendar and the address book with my company's Exchange server. Email sync is not necessary as the company's supplied blackberry is sufficient for email.

I have succeeded doing this sync on my MacBookPro and on my iMac.

Any attempt to do the same (with the same email address, the same password, the same username, using or not using the server address) fail.

Any reason ?

Any clue ?

I use the most recent mac OS specs and iOS specs.

TIA

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We'll need to know what the error message is if we can provide reasons or clues.

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We'll need to know what the error message is if we can provide reasons or clues.
There is no error message.
Problem Solved for me, crédit to the iPhone Pogue manual.

On the mac, the exchange server asks for:

First email address and password; and
Then username used to log into the network with the PC.

Bingo, it works using the magic of Outlook web access ((OWA)

On thé iphone or iPad, the exchange server asks for:

First email address and password; and
Then username used to log into the network with the PC.

There, you need to plug in the domain name (for acme.com, it would be acme), followed by a /, followed by the username.

Bingo, it works using the magic of Outlook web access ((OWA)

As a side, as soon as my iPhone or iPad has succeeded to log into the Exchange world using the OWA route, its access code, formerly 4 digits, must become a complex 8 digit code with no less than 3 extremely alien characters. Better be prepared for it.

All in all, it really is worth it as emailing from an iPad, even an iPhone, outranks by a huge extent the same with a blackberry Z10.

HTH

OP
michelangelo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sorry for not replying earlier. There was no error message on the iphone nor on the ipad. Nothing.

The matter was solved by the Pogue book "iphone the missing manual".

While Exchange access from the mac was easy as I said above, access from iphone or ipad was more complex. I will quote the Pogue solution:

"Sometimes, your user name is just the first part of your email address - So if your email address is [email protected], then your user name is simply smithy." This was true for me, but plugging only the username would not be enough..

"In other companies, though, you may also need to know your Windows domain and stick that in front of the user name, separated by a backslash". (here: "worldwidewidgets\smithy")

This worked for me, both on the iphone and on the ipad.

HTH.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.