Installed Windows 8.1 onto Mac now I have an issue...

Reaction score
Hi All - 2nd or 3rd time I've posted here so please be nice ;)

Attempted to install Windows 8.1 using BootCamp (followed all the instructions correctly).

Got to the Windows install stage - entering product code, etc. and restarted.

When Mac restarted it commenced the installation stage again; enter product key, etc.

Entered product key, then it basically did the above steps again; now the 3rd install attempt.

I force restarted my Mac and went back to OS X system (holding down the Alt/Command key). Went into Disk Utility and deleted the partition that was created via bootcamp.

Now every time I start up the Mac I need to hold the Alt/Command button otherwise I get the error "no disk selected" or something along those lines.

How can I fix this error, basically returning my Mac to what it was 2 hours ago before I commenced the Windows install?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Once you've booted into OS X, go to system preferences, startup disk, and select your OS X boot drive. Your Mac will then automatically start in OS X.

You shouldn't have used disk utility to remove the boot camp partition, the correct procedure was to have used the boot camp utility. Do a get info on the hard drive, see if you have the drives full capacity, I suspect not. You'll now need to adjust the partition size in disk utility to reclaim what you originally assigned for windows. In case something goes wrong, make sure you have a full backup first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you print out and read the instructions for removing a BootCamp partition by any chance? As Steve points out Disk Utility is not the way to go. If Windows 8 is still not installed, as suggested go into Disk Utility and ensure the drive is one single partition, and then start again.

Suggest at least 100GB partition for BootCamp if you can afford that much.

Reaction score
Once you've booted into OS X, go to system preferences, startup disk, and select your OS X boot drive. Your Mac will then automatically start in OS X.

You shouldn't have used disk utility to remove the boot camp partition, the correct procedure was to have used the boot camp utility. Do a get info on the hard drive, see if you have the drives full capacity, I suspect not. You'll now need to adjust the partition size in disk utility to reclaim what you originally assigned for windows. In case something goes wrong, make sure you have a full backup first.

I second Techiesteve's post. Seems like your Mac is trying to boot from a non-bootable partition or a missing partition. Just need retell your Mac what partition to boot from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.