RAM Question for Powerbook

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i think of upgrading the RAM in my Powerbook. Does anyone know what type of RAM comes with the powerbook? And what are some RAM Brand Names that go with MAC? At a local store near me they have this RAM called "Transcend". Is that one any good?

Let me know

Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have never heard of that brand of ram. I can recomend a website (http://www.crucial.com/) that gaurentees the fact that the ram will be compatible with your powerbook. You tell it what kind how old all of that information, and it will give you a list of pieces of ram for your system that will be good for it.

N

notoriousformul

PB comes w/ SO-Dimm PC 2700.. Transcend makes okay ram..for better compatibility i would recommend Kingston, OCZ, Corsair, Crucial/Micron etc.. they all come w/ Lifetime warranty. For best prices and free shipping check www.newegg.com or Zipzoomfly(Google both)

GL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67 15" 2GB RAM 80GB HD Superdisk
PowerBookG4 said:
I have never heard of that brand of ram. I can recomend a website (http://www.crucial.com/) that gaurentees the fact that the ram will be compatible with your powerbook. You tell it what kind how old all of that information, and it will give you a list of pieces of ram for your system that will be good for it.

When I go to crucial.com, there's two choices for a PowerBook G4 1.67 15" for memory. DDR2 and non-DDR2. Which one is right for mine? (Note: my PB was ordered yesterday so I don't have it in front of me. Is there a way to tell which kind of memory I have once I do have it?)

Thanks!

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
scottwdw said:
When I go to crucial.com, there's two choices for a PowerBook G4 1.67 15" for memory. DDR2 and non-DDR2. Which one is right for mine? (Note: my PB was ordered yesterday so I don't have it in front of me. Is there a way to tell which kind of memory I have once I do have it?)

Thanks!

Scott
Is the resolution on your PowerBook 1440x[I forgot what number goes here] or lower? If it's 1440, then it's the DDR2 model. Otherwise it's the DDR model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I believe it was the latest PowerBook G4 before the Intel ones so it should be DDR2 memory. I'll make sure.

BTW, I'm not going to be surprised that there's 2-256MB sticks am I? I'm assuming it's going to be one 512MB stick with an open slot for another 512MB stick. I ask because my Dell laptop came with 2-128MB for 256MB RAM and when I needed to upgrade, I had to replace both with 256MB chips for 512MB.

L

Leoking

My powerbook G4 came with one 512 stick, which sells for $49.95 USA and 1 gig for $199.99 USA, big difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Leoking said:
My powerbook G4 came with one 512 stick, which sells for $49.95 USA and 1 gig for $199.99 USA, big difference.

Just recieved my shipment notice and it says 1x512 so that mystery is solved. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
scottwdw said:
Just recieved my shipment notice and it says 1x512 so that mystery is solved. Thanks!

Just an update here. My Powerbook showed up last Friday :cool: It was the last 15.2" model before the Intel chips with high resolution and DDR2 memory. Ordered my crucial 1GB stick from newegg.com last night. Only $96 plus shipping. Nice!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last update...installed the RAM. Took about 5 minutes and have updated my Mac specs to 1.5 GB RAM...woo hoo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHZ 15" PowerBook G4 Widescreen "The Great Last PowerBook"/20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256VRAM
I bought RAM from CompUSA, not sure of the brand, but it was causing all kinds of problems. My Powerbook would lock up and I couldn't do anything. Serious problems since just having switched, I thought that MACs weren't supposed to crash. So I took it back out and all was well. Then I figured I bear the price and order from Apple. It cost a lot more, but it was well worth it. I haven't had any problems. I think I just got a bad module, but it burned me enough to buy it straight from the source. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
RamJet has really good deals on RAM. I bought 2GB for my Powerbook and have yet to have a kernel panic. Plus their sales people are really nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.