New intel Minis!

X

xbrian87

Just remember; you get what you pay for.

I'd use the mini as:

a. a paperweight (a la Homer Simpson)
b. a jukebox
c. a small network server
d. a coaster

Other than that, I think I'll be sticking with my iMac Duo (obviously).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
the mac mini is good for people like me, on a budget, and still get good stuff for 800 bucks

-Duo
-decent size hardrive
-512mb ram
-64mb VRam (integrated or not) not a gaming platform anyway,
-ilife
-double layer dvd writer

just b/c it's a small computer doesn't mean it can't do anything an iMac can't--just a couple seconds slower.
Still great for switchers, and those on a budget.

Reaction score
the thing is, you don't really save that much if you aren't prepared with your own mouse and keyboard and monitor. and thats not to say that i'm not, because i have an imac now, but my pc keyboard is ps/2 and my logitech mx 500 is lame , and i'm really tired of my dell monitor.

the iMac intel combined great pricing with a good all-in-one package. i'm such a happy mac'er and a switcher for life (first mac ever)

X

xbrian87

Exactly. Unless you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers, the mac mini is NOT as good a deal as it may seem.

Add it up:

$700-800 for a Duo Mini
$200-400 for a GOOD 17" LCD
$40 for Keyboard
$40 for Mouse

That's about $1300. An iMac Duo is $1299.99 brandy new and it runs much faster and is generally a MUCH nicer computer (bigger HD to boot).

Mini's are okay. They just aren't as good a deal as everyone makes them out to be.

X

xbrian87

And about the Logitech MX series'... I have a MX1000 and I adore it SOOOO much.

I hate Apple mice (no right click bugs the **** out of me), the MX1000 is so secsi and wonderful and has a GREAT battery life (can go a week, and i keep my computer on 24/7).

Reaction score
a paperweight (a la Homer Simpson)

That’s funny, but I think the mac mini is quite a contender. “I know, I know”…when it first was introduced, people made the same remark. At the end of the day, the original mini was great for “switchers,” and light computer work. It was extremely well priced, in a nice little package.

But I gotta say I’m really impressed with the new mini. Apple did it again! Come on, it’s a dual core processor, with some great upgrades: 120GB hard-drive, and 2GB memory. I don’t really see the mac mini as a “toy” computer anymore, but a little powerhouse.

I know this may create a chain of nasty responses, but it’s not that far removed from a intel imac. It seems like the true advantages of the imac would be faster processor, and better graphics card. The processor speed for the imac is faster, but the mini is no slouch.

The keyboard, monitor, and mouse thing is a toss up to me. Some may have decent equipment, while others would want to upgrade. I’m more than happy with my dell 20” lcd wide-screen, and wireless keyboard.

vj

D

djmitch

Being an owner of the original Mini, I'm quite impressed by the upgrades the new Mini offers. In particular, I like:
- The choice between Core Solo and Core Duo processors, and how the Solo is still about 2x faster than the original Mini's G4 processor.
- The 4 USB ports instead of only 2. I spent an extra $69 CDN for a USB hub that I wouldn't have had to buy if I'd had 4 ports in the first place!
- 2GB max. RAM up from 1GB (and 2 RAM slots instead of just one).
- Audio in jack, as opposed to not having it on mine! Buying an iMic ($49 CDN) is my only way to input instruments for use with GarageBand.
- Front Row.

And now my beefs: First, I don't like is how video RAM is now shared with main memory. The original Mini had 32MB dedicated RAM - although small, at least it doesn't interfere with main RAM operation. In any case, the new Mini should have at least 64MB dedicated RAM instead of being shared.

I've also noticed a discrepancy with hard drive speed. When looking at the Mini tech specs page on Apple's web site, the speed of all drives are listed at 5,400 RPM. However in the Apple Store, when I click on one of the two Mini choices then select "Learn more" about the hard drives, it states that "All Mac mini models include standard Serial ATA hard drives featuring data transfers up to 1.5 Gigabits per second. All hard drives run at 7,200 revolutions per minute (rpm)." That said, I haven't felt like I've been in the stone age with my 5,400 RPM drive. My Mini runs quite smoothly with its 1GB of RAM, and RAM is definitely the more important factor with Minis.

Overall, however, I'm envious of the new Minis. It seems like you're definitely getting more bang for your buck. However, I'm not envious enough to consider the upgrade until another year or two (when I'm sure I can install Windows in order to play some of my favorite PC games). Frankly, the new iMacs are so loaded and powerful in comparison for not much more, it might be worth getting the iMac instead - unless, of course, you don't like the idea of an integrated monitor. At least with the Mini I can easily replace my monitor when it fries.

Well, there's my 2 cents worth on the new Mini!

I

IcerC

Pierre said:
the mac mini is good for people like me, on a budget, and still get good stuff for 800 bucks
QUOTE]
800 is not cheap for just the consle.

I got my dell(also have a g5) for $840
19" display
3Ghz
1gb ram
ati radeon x300
150gb harddrive
windows pro.
keyboard
mouse
_____--
I want a cnet test to see how the new/old minis compare.

Reaction score
IcerC said:
Pierre said:
QUOTE]
800 is not cheap for just the consle.

I got my dell(also have a g5) for $840
19" display
3Ghz
1gb ram
ati radeon x300
150gb harddrive
windows pro.
keyboard
mouse

yeah...but that's a dell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Wow dude, Dell ripped you off.

For $820 I got, 6 months ago...

17" Display 8ms responce (now on my mini)
3100+ Sempron OC'ed to 2.2 Ghz (a surprisingly fast CPU)
1GB RAM
Geforce 6600GT
500gb HDD
Windows XP pro
Keyboard + mouse
Digital TV tuner
And a Dual layer 16x Liteon DVD burner

The funny thing is that I'm still going to get an Intel Mac mini as I think it's better value!

just b/c it's a small computer doesn't mean it can't do anything an iMac can't--just a couple seconds slower.

actually it should be 17% slower on the Duo but only in terms of clock rate.

Reaction score
Is the new Mini for me?

I'm a graphic artist who works with a G5 at work, but when I freelance at home, I'm on a G4 466. I don't have the budget for a new G5, and already have a kick-*** 20 inch widescreen from Dell for a monitor. My question is would the new mini 1.66 be a wise investment for me? It's 10 times faster than what I have now, so I'll notice quite a bit of speed difference... would I be hurting elsewhere?

Thanks!
Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.