HDD turns off iMac11,2

Reaction score
When I connect my 3TB Transcend HDD to my brand new iMac (11,2 Intel Core i5, Memory 16 GB, Processor
Speed:3.6GHz, Interconnected speed:6.4GT/s) via the USB, it turns the iMac off.
I have tried using 2.0 and 3.0 USB cables directly and/or via powered hub but to no avail.
All other external HDDs work perfectly.
As a matter of fact, this external HDD worked flawlessly with my old (non-Intel) PPC G5
In order to eliminate the faintest probability of a HDD failure my daughter checked
the HDD with her computer. It worked flawlessly.
Please what could be the problem?
Since this HDD contains
all my files and it is extremely vital to be able to use it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you say it turns the iMac off, do you mean it actually powers the machine down or just puts it to sleep? I've never heard of an external hard drive that when attached, would power off a computer. The only thing I can think of that might cause that is if the drive is drawing too much power and overloading the iMac. That might cause the iMac to turn off as a means of protection. However, Macs have a built in protection against over current to USB devices and will generally disable the device or turn off the USB port.

As far as getting your data off the drive, use your daughter's computer if the drive is working OK there. If her computer is a PC, you can install a HFS driver in Windows so that it can read and write to the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
maybe try an externally powered USB Hub if you have a friend that has one to try and see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the model is correct, the 11.2 is a 2010 model and only has UBS2. Agree with the above, get a mains powered caddy and put the drive into that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.