Mid-2012 MacBook Pro backlight issues

Reaction score
Mid-2012 MacBook Pro - Hard Disk Issue

Hello all,

First, the background. I bought this 13-inch MBP last summer and then about a month ago the hard drive began making clicking noises. Fortunately at this point it was still under warranty and they just replaced it for me free of charge. Then ever since that "repair" my display kept dimming on it's own with these 9 bright spots appearing on the bottom edge of my display. It kept happening more and more frequently until my display would just go out every 30 seconds or so. I did an SMC reset, PRAM reset, and fiddled with the display and power saver settings to no avail, but this morning I unchecked the box in my Energy Saver preferences that read "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and now the problem is gone completely.

Is this a hard disk issue? Did apple replace my clicking one with a defective one? or maybe they just adjusted the Disk read-and-write head on the original defective part and now it's giving me this issue. I was planning on upgrading to a SSD soon anyway - I guess I'm worried if it isn't a hard disk issue, I should spend my money on fixing that instead of upgrading my hard disk.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For what it's worth. I don't think newer MacBook Pro's have backlights anymore. Newer LED displays don't have backlights.

The problem could be a bad/worn video cable.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello all,

First, the background. I bought this 13-inch MBP last summer and then about a month ago the hard drive began making clicking noises. Fortunately at this point it was still under warranty and they just replaced it for me free of charge. Then ever since that "repair" my display kept dimming on it's own with these 9 bright spots appearing on the bottom edge of my display. It kept happening more and more frequently until my display would just go out every 30 seconds or so. I did an SMC reset, PRAM reset, and fiddled with the display and power saver settings to no avail, but this morning I unchecked the box in my Energy Saver preferences that read "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and now the problem is gone completely.

Is this a hard disk issue? Did apple replace my clicking one with a defective one? or maybe they just adjusted the Disk read-and-write head on the original defective part and now it's giving me this issue. I was planning on upgrading to a SSD soon anyway - I guess I'm worried if it isn't a hard disk issue, I should spend my money on fixing that instead of upgrading my hard disk.

Thanks in advance for your input!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction pigoo3! I actually just fixed the problem by deselecting "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" under my Energy Saver preferences. I can only assume that when my hard disk was being put to sleep it was affecting my display like that, can you maybe explain to me why?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start a new thread when the subject is the same. Your post has been merged here into your original thread.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks chscag, I wanted to delete the original thread as the subject was a little different in the new one, but the process seemed a little tedious :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.