Old iPhoto libraries appear empty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
A while ago I updated iPhoto to v9 and have been happily using my main personal iPhoto library since.

Today, I needed to check one of my older, business, libraries and iPhoto is behaving as though it's a newly created library with no photos. Further checking of my eight further libraries showed seven of them in the same state, the other went through the expected 'upgrade' procedure and is intact.

So,
1. Why didn't the others update automatically?
2. How do I force them to update?
3. Short of going into the package contents and extracting the photos what else can I do to recover the situation?

Fortunately, for almost all of my photos taken over the last 3-4 years I have copies outside of iPhoto but in the early days my photos were imported to iPhoto and not saved elsewhere.

I have full Time machine backup but my moving to iPhoto 9 predates the earliest backup. In any event if I cannot recover my iPhoto libraries intact I will loose all the edits except where the photos have been exported and saved elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
241 views but no suggestions. It would be most unusual on here to find that no-one can help. Thanks.

Reaction score
same issue

did you get this resolved? i have similar issue here, looking through more threads now to see if I can find solution

C

chas_m

Most of those views come from bots and web spiders indexing the site for search engines.

Much more detail is needed generally before we can form a good theory that might explain what's happening and thus what to do about it.

Do you generally let iPhoto handle storing/managing the photos, or do you only use references (ie not stored in iPhoto)? What are the file sizes of the dysfunctional libraries? What evidence do you have that this problem came about by moving to iPhoto 9, that the libraries were not bad before that point?

Reaction score
So with my problem this is what happened:

1. I updated to Yosemite
2. I updated iPhoto to 9.6
3. It told me my library would need to be converted to work with 9.6 so i clicked yes to do that
4. It froze and stayed frozen for hours so I had to force quit iPhoto
5. Opened I photo and no library showing
6. When I check in iPhoto that its selected the correct Iphoto library all seems in order, still no photos showing
7. I then did something that I can't quite remember properly but it resulted in the photos showing up properly
8. Subsequent opening of iphoto and again no photos showing.
9. If I select the library in Finder and ask to show package details I see Master, which is empty, and Old Master, which whilst it has my folders from the library it appears to be empty.
10. If I select the library in finder and ask to show details it shows 114 GB of data which would seem to be my photos, cant get them to show up!

Any advice welcome, I'm a hack at this so apologise for stupid questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.