WD Passport for Mac External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have an WD Passport for Mac external hard drive which I can unlock on my Macbook Air 10.9.4, but there is no icon that appears on screen so that I can access te content of the disc (about 30 gigabytes of photos etc).
I am offered the possibility of reinitialising the disc and therefore losing the contents.
What can I do.
Thanks for the help that anyone out there can provide.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an WD Passport for Mac external hard drive which I can unlock on my Macbook Air 10.9.4, but there is no icon that appears on screen so that I can access te content of the disc (about 30 gigabytes of photos etc).

If I'm understanding this correctly…this is just a preference setting. Go to:

- the Finder (desktop)
- click on the "Finder" drop down menu
- choose "Preferences"
- then select (check) all appropriate boxes

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Finder > Preferences > General > Hard Drives box ticked?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks to suggestions so far. Have followed up on Finder and also used the AppleXSoft Recovery Program but without any luck - took about four hours to scan the disc but found nothing. Do I give up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 iMac, iPad Mini, MBP, Air
I'd check the connections and make sure you are using the USB vs. the firewall. I have accessed all my WD externals through Finder with no issues. I did have an issue, once, with the USB cord. I switched it out as I couldn't see the external at all. Turn off your computer, switch out the USB cord and then boot it up. It should work then. Let us know if that helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.