Make text into a hyperlink on iPad

Reaction score
How do you make text into a hyperlink rather than pasting the link into an email using the iPad keyboard?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What version of iOS are you using? What mail client are you using? Where are you creating the hyperlink?

OP
Gren
Reaction score
What version of iOS are you using? What mail client are you using? Where are you creating the hyperlink?

iOS 7.1.2, I'm using Apple Mail and copying the hyperlink from the address bar in Chrome for iOS.

C

chas_m

Then don't worry about it. If you're copying the entire URL, ie "http://www.mac-forums.com" for example, it will be a live clickable link when the recipient receives it.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
I figured out that the way to do it is to copy a hyperlink from the browser's address bar, paste it into an email and edit it from the middle so you can turn it into any word you like and it still works as a link.

Tedious, but but it looks better than a hyperlink in the text of the email, there doesn't seem to be a way to edit text to include a link.

Thanks.

C

chas_m

Sorry, I slightly misunderstood what you were asking. What you really wanted to know (for future reference) was "can I embed HTML code for hyperlinks in Mail" and the answer is no.

OP
Gren
Reaction score
Sorry, I slightly misunderstood what you were asking. What you really wanted to know (for future reference) was "can I embed HTML code for hyperlinks in Mail" and the answer is no.

Thanks, perhaps in a future version of iOS?

C

chas_m

Not very likely. Possibly an alternate mail client would be helpful, but I've not researched this at all. On the very very rare occasion that I need to create HTML-based mail, I use a Mac program called Mail Designer.

As mentioned earlier, the full URL will be clickable by the recipient when included in an email, but the embedding you're wanting to do can't be done in Mail (on either a Mac or iOS device).

OP
Gren
Reaction score
Not very likely. Possibly an alternate mail client would be helpful, but I've not researched this at all. On the very very rare occasion that I need to create HTML-based mail, I use a Mac program called Mail Designer.

As mentioned earlier, the full URL will be clickable by the recipient when included in an email, but the embedding you're wanting to do can't be done in Mail (on either a Mac or iOS device).

You can in Mail on OSX using Edit>Add link, I do it all the time.

All the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.