Lots of folder icons missing after Yosemite upgrade

Reaction score
So after I went through the Yosemite upgrade, I now have seemingly random folder icons missing all over the operating system. I don't believe there are any application or preview icons missing - only folder icons. I have done a pretty thorough forum search and have deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file and restarted several times and that didn't help. I also found some threads where users were asked to create a new user and log in under that user to see if the problem persists. In my case, everything is fine under another user. But in those threads, I never saw any reply on what to do in the event that everything is fine under another user. I'd really like to stay logged in under my usual user since I have all my goodies the way I want them there if possible. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the folder icons back?

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing (notice one folder icon there and tons of them missing):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6h15qupk5jep35/Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 9.25.20 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes. Wipe it and reinstall Mavericks. Yosemite is in beta for a reason.

If you insist on keeping Yosemite, you may need to flush your cache. You can do that with Onyx, or at least you could if there was a version for Yosemite. Here's instructions for how to manually do so:
Delete User Caches in Mac OS X | OSXDaily

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with LB!

Remember this is a BETA OS. People are supposed to be reporting BUGS! It's not for everyday use and most are using it on either another system or a separate partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
People are supposed to be reporting BUGS!

Amen to that Dennis. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of folks who downloaded the Yosemite beta are using it as their primary OS and could care less about reporting bugs. Instead, some of them will post on the many Mac Forums and complain about it not working right. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Amen to that Dennis. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of folks who downloaded the Yosemite beta are using it as their primary OS and could care less about reporting bugs. Instead, some of them will post on the many Mac Forums and complain about it not working right. ;)

100% Agree but it's sad. Apple did not have to do the Beta program but did it for more reports to make their OS even better!

I just sent off a report tonight with the major report about Yahoo messenger not loading and getting an error and a few other things. I really want to help apple and the OS is not bad as it sits, just a few things here and there.

C

chas_m

I've been using it as my primary OS because that's the best way for me to test it. I have my Mavericks system backed up on a drive for restoration if it becomes necessary. But I am also reporting bugs of course, since I want Yosemite to be really great when it is released.

I can say that if you don't mind some glitches and some programs that don't work, Yosemite is mostly usable on a day-to-day basis. To my great surprise, Photoshop CS3 (not a typo! From 2007!) works fine under Yosemite, yet the much more modern Pixelmator has graphic glitches galore (please note this could be because I'm on a 2009 machine with a lousy video chipset).

That reminds me, I need to reply to that email from Binarynights ...

PS. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did not experience any missing anything in the course of my using Yosemite. I don't keep stuff on the desktop though, so if that was the case with the OP then I can't say why that happened.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas, that was why I was shocked Yahoo Messenger does not run as stuff from way back like good old VisualHub even works! To me it shows how poorly programmed Yahoo app is! But I do need it for some friends so reported it. I have not ran into much Bug wise so far. Little things mostly cosmetic.

C

chas_m

I'm seeing more graphic issues (see my above post for possible reasons) than compatibility issues so far, but I did have to get a few "advanced betas" of things to make them work in Yosemite (not many, Cyberduck is one example and Forklift is another).

OP
T
Reaction score
For the record, I also reported as a bug several days ago and just wanted to post here to see if anybody had any thoughts on restoring them since the missing icons seemed to be an issue for some people with Mavericks as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Also, in case anybody else is wondering - emptying the ~/Library/Caches folder did not resolve the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Also, in case anybody else is wondering - emptying the ~/Library/Caches folder did not resolve the issue.

My next best guess is an option in Onyx to rebuild the appearance of folder contents. That's certainly running a script that could be done in Terminal, but I don't know what the commands or script would be.

Reaction score
So after I went through the Yosemite upgrade, I now have seemingly random folder icons missing all over the operating system. I don't believe there are any application or preview icons missing - only folder icons. I have
Happened to me too when I installed over Mavericks. Since it is a beta I installed it on an external clone of my Mavericks system. After seeing the icon problem I booted from the internal, wiped the clone, and installed Yosemite fresh, it was fine then.

Like others mentioned, it is a beta, it's not meant to be a main operating system.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I installed the beta over a Mavericks clone and haven't experienced disappearing folders. Can't run the beta at the moment till I get another case for the external drive. My Mac shut down the other day due to battery getting too low. Since then it won't boot from the beta. Problem seems to be the drive case though since it keeps appearing and reappearing on the desktop.

Anyone else having issues with the audio preference pane not working properly with headphones plugged in. The pane recognizes headphones are in but there is no audio. It tries to switch to another output such as Apple TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.