Time Machine Suddenly Stops backing up

Reaction score
Time machine was working just fine, no issues what-so-ever. needed to restore a file and noticed that no backup was completed for over a month. Would go through the calculating and indexing as usual. But would start the backup and then close out. Back up file is named XXXXX.inProgress, time-stamped with the most recent backup attempt. No error codes, no nothing. Just quits out. I made no system or setting changes what-so-ever.

Went to terminal and I see this repeated:
Jul 29 00:32:54 BeccasMini com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10010a8d0.mach_init.mdworker[52515]): Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
Jul 29 00:32:55 BeccasMini com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[52517]: 2014-07-29 00:32:55.011 ReportCrash[52517:1407] Saved crash report for mdworker[52515] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/mdworker_2014-07-29-003255_localhost.crash

and

Right after back up process initiates:
Jul 29 00:34:46 BeccasMini com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.backupd[52539]): Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

OSX10.6.8, mac mini, external 2TB for backup

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Disk Utility from your Applications, Utilities folder and do a verify and repair on your Time Machine backup drive. Let us know the results.

OP
B
Reaction score
Everything checked out OK.This was the final line after it gave me the OK:

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Attempted a backup to see what would happen and the behavior is the same. I went to "Veiw package contents" for the .inprogress file. One of the three partitions (of a 2TB external) backed up successfully. It just has miscellaneous files on it. One by one, I removed my hard drive, and the other two partions from the back up queue in Time Machine and they all get partially through the back up... a few GB... when TM quits out like its finished.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's an indication the sparse bundle itself may be corrupt. It's probably best to erase the drive, re-format it to Mac OS Extended Journaled and start your Time Machine backups again. It will mean that any previous backups will be lost. I always recommend using two methods of backing up: Time Machine and cloning software (Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper), however, that requires two external hard drives and a bit more work. Of course that's up to you.

OP
B
Reaction score
I did erase and reformat before I posted here. Same behavior. Just frustrating that it happened out of the blue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As suggested, especially if your data is important, at least get and use either CCC or SD.

Personally I prefer and use CCC. I've seen TM go goofy just too many times to really trust it, especially if it's the only backup. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.