hard drive won't mount!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
i have a external hard drive that is an external case with an internal drive enclosed, (250g). i have been using it for about a year and a half, no problems. i backed up my hard drive to the external the other day so i could reinstall osx (10.2.8). now the external drive wont mount. this is a serious problem as i have all of my school work (uofL - photography) saved to that drive and cannot access it. any ideas as to why the drive won't mount?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Can you see the drive when using the disk utility application. If so, you canit to mount the drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
nope, opened disc utility but nothing. the drive is plugged in properly and is powered on but does not mount. any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
May be you should figure out whether the problem is with your Mac or the external HD. If you have access to any other Mac or a PC you could test it. If it is not mounting with others as well, then highly likely the problem is with the EHD provided that you didn't do a major OS update. Give it a try.

sadida31 said:
nope, opened disc utility but nothing. the drive is plugged in properly and is powered on but does not mount. any other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.