Are Mac Pro power supplies interchangeable

Reaction score
I just came back from the store and my Mac Pro 2009 gen 4,1 Nehalem is dead. I am quite certain it is the power supply . I have an old 2006 gen1 boat anchor that just sits over there in the far corner doing nothing since I retired it a couple years ago . After a little research it seems that there's a few different part numbers , but all the power supplies that I can find online all look the same and are all 980watts , so I would like to know Why i can't just take the one out of the old Mac Pro and put it in my 2009
And Thanks for checking in and listening to my problem

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you have access to both power supplies (can see them)…here are three things you can quickly do:

1. See if they are the same form-factor (same length x width x height dimensions).
2. Check to see if the cable connectors are the same (same cable length & connector configuration).
3. Each power supply will have a label on them…with a part number on the label…and wattage info.

Check these things out…and this will help to know if they are interchangeable.

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Think the answer will be no different part numbers. Have a look at this from DV Warehouse showing all Mac Pro power supplies which whilst they are all 980watt, the connectors seem entirely different:-

Mac Pro Power Supply : DV Warehouse, Your single source for your all digital video needs!

Yes I have pulled the one out my dead Nehalem and as you say it seems to be one single connector going straight into the mobo
And without even pulling the old gen1 apart I already know what I will find because the help video I found online to take the power units out was made using an older model and it had multiple pigtail connectors just like those on the website you linked me to.
And although this makes you the bearer of bad news I do appreciate your effort and taking the time to start me in the right direction.
The cost of a new one is very disheartening

manythanx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The cost of a new one is very disheartening

Many Apple replacement parts fall into this category. Identify exactly what power supply you need (part number)…then keep searching eBay for a used replacement.

Sometimes you can come across some really great deals. That great deal may not be there today…just got to keep looking. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, etc.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lol thanks for not shooting the messenger which does seem to happen here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.