Password

Reaction score
We are trying to connect our TV to our computer via wireless connection. The TV asks us for a password but we don't know what that is. We have an ipad mini that connects but we don't remember how we set that up. If the mini connects, there must be a password ... ???

1. Is there a way we can find the password?
2. Should we just go ahead and change the password?

We don't know how to do either of those. Suggestions are appreciated.

We are running 10.6 with Airport and a router.

Thanks
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We are trying to connect our TV to our computer via wireless connection. The TV asks us for a password but we don't know what that is. We have an ipad mini that connects but we don't remember how we set that up. If the mini connects, there must be a password ... ???

1. Is there a way we can find the password?
2. Should we just go ahead and change the password?

We don't know how to do either of those. Suggestions are appreciated.

We are running 10.6 with Airport and a router.

Hi Bob - please provide additional information: 1) Mini specifics (year); 2) How are you trying to connect to your TV (I know wirelessly), i.e. do you have an Apple TV or a Roku device (I use the latter); 3) Who is you ISP; and 4) What is the brand/model of your router and is the latter setup w/ security, such as WEP or WPA?

Please answer these questions - but for starters, if your router is broadcasting a protected Wi-Fi network, then you likely need to enter the password for that device (same w/ my Roku machine). Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Dave - This is all the info I have to answer your quesitons. Thanks for your patience with a non technical type ...

Mini Specifics - Version 7.1.2 Model MD531LL/A It was given to us about a year ago
Apple TV or Roku - No
Our ISP (presume you mean internet service provider) is Hawaiian Telcom
Brand/Model of Router - AirPort Express 802.11n WiFi
Is Router set up with security - I would guess not. We plugged it in and turned on AirPort on the computer.
Is router broadcasting a protected WiFi network? I have no idea ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave - This is all the info I have to answer your quesitons. Thanks for your patience with a non technical type ...

Mini Specifics - Version 7.1.2 Model MD531LL/A It was given to us about a year ago
Apple TV or Roku - No
Our ISP (presume you mean internet service provider) is Hawaiian Telcom
Brand/Model of Router - AirPort Express 802.11n WiFi
Is Router set up with security - I would guess not. We plugged it in and turned on AirPort on the computer.
Is router broadcasting a protected WiFi network? I have no idea ...

Hi again Bob - you might want to give us the brand/model of your TV - hopefully, it is a HDTV w/ HDMI inputs?

The iPad Mini (I have an iPad 2) can be mirrored to a TV either via a cabled connection (HDMI input is the best and an adapter is available) or 'wirelessly' using Apple's proprietary technology called 'Air Play' - details HERE - the Apple TV (a little box that sits on your TV connects via an HDMI cable & uses Wi-Fi) can then be used to stream AV content to your TV. The Airport Express also supports Air Play but I believe just for sound (I have an AirPort Extreme router) - SO, we need to know if your TV has Air Play support, also?

As to the passwords, my guess is still likely the security one on your router - to check open the Airport app on your iPad Mini, then tap the router and then the 'Network' - Security should be shown - is there a listing for WEP or WPA2 - if so, then you setup a password. The other option would be your Apple ID password - assume that you have an account?

Let me stop there for you to answer these additional questions - good luck. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Dave - Thanks for your time and help It is greatly appreciated. We found the password !
Thanks
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave - Thanks for your time and help It is greatly appreciated. We found the password !
Thanks

Hi Bob - great! - thought the password was the answer, but just curious (and for other readers an explanation might help), i.e. which 'password' was the one (router, Apple ID, or other)?

Also, are you now streaming from your router to the TV and/or from your iPad to the TV - again, might be of aid to others.

I stream w/ my Roku device, but my BD/DVD player & my HDTV both can have built-in Wi-Fi and can stream w/ their own software; so there are MANY options these days for using streaming depending on your hardware. Thanks. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
The password was for the router.
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I had asked the wrong question in the first place. We were not trying to stream directly from the computer to the TV. Rather, what we were trying to do was to go through the bluray player to see the internet on the TV which we now can do.
Thanks for your help and I hope this all has helped others.
Bob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.