External HDD with Windows OS on Macbook Air/Pro Boot-up?

Reaction score
Guys, have you tried this? I need an idea. Installing a Windows OS on External HDD and boot-it on macbook air/pro? Because I'm planning to buy a Mac Laptop

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Planning on buying a Mac notebook computer is a good idea, but putting Windows on an external hard drive is a bad idea. Why? Because by default Windows will not install to external or removable media. And again Why? Because it's an anti piracy measure put into effect by Microsoft. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, 8GB, OS X Mavericks
Can I put my old PC hard drive in a USB3 caddy and run windows?
I'm not expecting it to run great, but really as a safety net for a 25year windows and 3 week Mac user! lol
I think I have most of my old stuff covered off by the Mac and loving it.
I intend to put one of my old PCs in the loft just in case I have missed something.
I thought about boot camp for any items that won't work in crossover, but can't find my windows cd and can't see the point spending money on something I hope to use infrequently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.