how to clean a macbook?

Reaction score
Not sure where else to post this, but oh well.

I'm looking for tips on how to clean and dust my macbook. From the wear on the keyboard and the keyboard grease and such it accumulates over time, what is the best way to cleanse it all without causing any damage?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

How about the Apple Notebooks forum where I moved it to? ;)

I'm looking for tips on how to clean and dust my macbook. From the wear on the keyboard and the keyboard grease and such it accumulates over time, what is the best way to cleanse it all without causing any damage? Thanks.

You can find detailed interactions on how to take your MacBook apart at www.ifixit.com. Just use common sense while cleaning - use nothing that would damage either the finish or cause an electrical problem. In other words, no liquids!

Reaction score
I think I just ruined my Apple Wireless Keyboard by cleaning it with a paper towel dampened with ammonia. Now, it is doing things like typing the letter "q" when I hit "delete." Is this repairable?

The keyboard on my MacBook Pro also needs cleaning. Is my only option to use a dry cloth?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

I'm looking for tips on how to clean and dust my macbook. From the wear on the keyboard and the keyboard grease and such it accumulates over time, what is the best way to cleanse it all without causing any damage?

Hello - check Apple's Guidelines for cleaning their various products - as already stated, liquids are to be avoided, especially around the keyboard (KB) - if your KB is that dirty, then dismantling the computer according to the link provided and the recommendations there might be your best option, other that letting a 'professional' service do the cleaning. Good luck - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I just ruined my Apple Wireless Keyboard by cleaning it with a paper towel dampened with ammonia. Now, it is doing things like typing the letter "q" when I hit "delete." Is this repairable?

The keyboard on my MacBook Pro also needs cleaning. Is my only option to use a dry cloth?

Hi Mark. - you've kind of 'hijack' another's thread since your issue is basically a 'liquid spill' on a keyboard, although I do not know 'how much' dampening was on the paper towel. A lint free dry cloth should have been used only.

You likely have damaged your computer - ammonia is an ionizing solution that conducts electricity and can also dissolve computer components, including delicate copper wiring. For more information, see the sticky on Liquid Spills for suggestions on what to do next, but I can only provide solace, i.e. an expensive repair or a replacement. Sorry - Dave :)

Reaction score
Hi Mark. - you've kind of 'hijack' another's thread since your issue is basically a 'liquid spill' on a keyboard, although I do not know 'how much' dampening was on the paper towel. A lint free dry cloth should have been used only.

You likely have damaged your computer - ammonia is an ionizing solution that conducts electricity and can also dissolve computer components, including delicate copper wiring. For more information, see the sticky on Liquid Spills for suggestions on what to do next, but I can only provide solace, i.e. an expensive repair or a replacement. Sorry - Dave :)

It's not a hijack, it's a cleaning question. My computer is fine. My wireless keyboard may be kaput.

From now on, I'll start a new thread for every question. Forums seem to be hostile to contributions to an existing thread. Until they become hostile to the start of a new thread on the same to;pic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not a hijack, it's a cleaning question. My computer is fine. My wireless keyboard may be kaput.

From now on, I'll start a new thread for every question. Forums seem to be hostile to contributions to an existing thread. Until they become hostile to the start of a new thread on the same to;pic.

Sorry Marrk - must have read your post in haste, i.e. questions about damage to a 'wireless' keyboard (KB) and cleaning your KB on the MBPro - my misunderstanding.

Well, I provided a link in my post to the OP's question which outlines Apple's advice; as to your 'wireless' KB, check out the 'sticky' thread, but still feel that it is likely damaged.

As to the 'hijack', I'm just in the habit of usually encouraging posters to start their own threads, even if the issue varies slightly - since you had two differing questions, then no problem; but, often these posts can get buried in a thread and never seen depending on the thread title or the nature of its OP - Dave :)

Reaction score
Just to follow up:

1) My Apple Wireless Keyboard seems to have returned to a fully functional state. Guess it just needed to dry out.

2) A dry cloth on my MacBook Pro keyboard is simply not getting the job done when it comes to cleaning.

More anon.

Reaction score
I use a mix of alcohol and glass cleaner to clean my MacBook screen, works very well. As for your topcase and keyboard as such you can use the same stuff. Use a micro viber cloth to clean both. That should get you sorted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.