Using mac monitor as an external monitor

Reaction score
hey i have a macbook pro, and i work for a video surveillance company. when installing a DVR at a a job site, you would need a monitor to attach to it to configure. I have a Mac and Lenovo i use at work and both work fine. is there a software that allows you to connect the DVR via VGA to the laptop and use as a regular monitor through a software, than rather having to take a monitor and all that hassle to every job site. Most of our consumers won't have a monitor to use, they use our Client Software to view/manage cameras. The DVR uses a Linux OS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can think of that might work is the "Elgato" video capture device. You can access their site and take a look. Since you know what you need and the best setup for it, you may be able to utilize their device. It's $99.00. LINK

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
VLC might also work. Connect the box and then launch VLC. Choose Open Capture Device. Click the Capture tab and see if the box is in the drop down menu. It has crashed for me shortly after I try it but IIRC I've read that it works with some boxes.

OP
A
Reaction score
VLC might also work. Connect the box and then launch VLC. Choose Open Capture Device. Click the Capture tab and see if the box is in the drop down menu. It has crashed for me shortly after I try it but IIRC I've read that it works with some boxes.

i just tried VLC and it did not recognize the DVR, is IIRC an add-on or a software by its self, i cannot find it, can you send me a link, thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that might work is the "Elgato" video capture device. You can access their site and take a look. Since you know what you need and the best setup for it, you may be able to utilize their device. It's $99.00. LINK

I was really looking for a software based but if i cannot find one then i will have to check out hardware

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. Sorry if that causes any confusion.

I haven't had much luck with VLC and two or three different cable boxes (motorola and Pace) It was worth a shot though. The closest I've gotten so far is seeing video for a second or two.

OP
A
Reaction score
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. Sorry if that causes any confusion.

I haven't had much luck with VLC and two or three different cable boxes (motorola and Pace) It was worth a shot though. The closest I've gotten so far is seeing video for a second or two.

i wonder if trying to pull a via signal through usb will work, like a VGA to USB adapter, i looked at a few Virtual KVM software but all those require an additional software to be installed on the device you want to control but in my case I'm using a device with embedded Linux where you cannot install anything on it, but wondering if a physical small ivm would work but there would have to be a software for viewing purposes for another laptop to be able to pull video

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.