mac laptop hdmi cable

Reaction score
Can I just buy a mini to hdmi cable to hook up a mac laptop (6.1) to teach word (do not need sound)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Teach Word on what? Tell us what you're trying to do. Your question is vague - keep in mind that we can't answer a question properly unless we have input from you.

OP
P
Reaction score
I will have a large screen TV to teach mac for word. Thus I do not need sound but just the screens from my mac to show up on a large tv. Things like spell check, tabs, and synonyms require a screen to show what you can do. But how to connect without spending a lot of money. That is why I asked the question about a mini to hdmi cable for the mac laptop

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on what inputs the large screen TV has. Most modern large screen TVs have inputs for HDMI, DVI, and possibly VGA. According to what you posted, you have a 2010 MacBook Pro 17". That machine has a MiniDisplay Port output. You will need a MiniDisplay Port adapter to whatever cable matches the input on your large screen TV.

You can find quality adapters and cables at monoprice.com. Their prices are below what Apple charges for the same adapters and cables.

C

chas_m

Alternative option that will cost a bit more upfront but is delightful: an Apple TV and AirPlay (not sure your 2010 can do this however, you'll need to check if you want to look into this option).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.