What's the easiest way to sync iTunes between two computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
How to sync iTunes between two Mac computers?

I have an iMac coming later this month and I want to be able to keep the iTunes library on it in sync with the iTunes library on my Cube. Both will be on my network, communicating through the router using wireless B and G. Any simple solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you can enable sharing on the computer you want to keep as your main iTunes computer which is what i do now, i buy and import all my music on my powrmac quad and then just share it with my powerbook when i am around the house, for trips i use my ipod so i don't have to worry about my powerbook having all the files on it.. this also saves space..
I don't know how to actually sync them to be the same however.. but that way of doing things works really well for me so I made the suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
kaidomac said:
I have an iMac coming later this month and I want to be able to keep the iTunes library on it in sync with the iTunes library on my Cube. Both will be on my network, communicating through the router using wireless B and G. Any simple solutions?

You can use a FireWire cable between the two and import the files.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I now have two Macs, an iMac Intel and a G4 Cube. I currently use the iMac Intel to store my audio library (import CDs, purchase music, etc.) and I want to keep my G4 Cube synced with this library. I'm running a wireless network, so communication between the systems is not an issue. What's the best way to do this? Is there some way to have iTunes on the G4 Cube periodically poll the iMac for new music and to transfer new files from it to keep itself up-to-date? Also, is it possible to sync my Windows machine in this way?

J

JimmyHat

I use a program called getTunes to share libraries between my two macs. It doesn't automatically update libraries, but it does work well to copy songs through iTunes.

Maybe you could set up an automatic playlist with the most recenly imported songs, and have getTunes select all the songs on that playlist.

Good luck, and be sure to post whatever solution works well for you! I'd love to know if you find something better!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.