Omni Disk Sweeper- Help removing files/free space

Reaction score
Hello,

I can't figure out where all of the space on my hard drive has gone... I bought a Macbook Air a year or two ago with a 120gb SSD. I have quite a few photos on here but other than that, I don't really have much.

Can you take a look at the screen shots below and tell me what could be going on? I'm not sure what's safe to delete but I'm missing about 1/3 of my hard drive and can't find what's taking it up...

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well a 120GB disk is very small and you do have a lot of movies and iTunes on it. What is going on is you are going to have to make a decision about what to delete.

C

chas_m

Well not so much "delete" as make some decisions about what to put on an external drive. You might also want to look at any SSD expansion options for that MBA as well (I'd suggest a visit to Other World Computing aka macsales.com).

Also, why do you have Parallels on there? Are you trying to ALSO run a SECOND operating system on this MBA in 120GB of space? I wonder if that may provide a lead on where your "missing" space has gone ...

Reaction score
Really there isn't a whole lot you can delete seeing around 50GB is occupied and 35 GB of this is just photos(You could consider deleting photos). Meaning there is 15GB which is mostly taken up by the operating system not to mention a few GB for the sleep images(these are core services and not to be messed with).

My suggestion would be to buy a 1TB(1000GB which is 10x bigger than what you currently have) portable hard drive. This is like a USB but slightly bigger depending on your currency you can get relatively good ones for around $80-$100 USD or $100 AUD. These are perfect for storing media like images and movies as there loading times are fast enough that you won't notice much of a difference between a normal hard drive and an SSD. SSD are about 5x a faster on average but much more expensive and image files and documents are usually to small in size to tell a real difference as well as movies which will be "buffered" by your computer much faster then you can watch them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.