My Mac is stuck on grey screen with apple and loading bar

Reaction score
Someone please help man! i have so much stuff i need in my mac.

So today i was using my mac book pro with 10.6.8 and it just froze. it never ever gave me problems or froze before, so i was forced to shut it down. Once i turned it back on it was stuck on The APPLE and Loading Bar in the grey screen/

So far i tried the Safe boot and just never goes
I tried CMD + SHIFT+ P + R and didn't work either.

If someone can help me i will appreciate it so MUCH!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Two critical questions first; do you have a backup and do you have the original install disks that came with OSX 10.6 ?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
1. no
2. and i updated via online

I see, well I hate to say this but your safest and probably cheapest option is to take it to an Apple service center.
No doubt you want to save your data but it does sound like your HD is damaged or at least in need of repair. In order to find out you need to attempt to boot from another source preferably the original or current system disk. You can then run Disk Utility to verify/repair your permissions and drive.
You can purchase the Snow Leopard disks from Apple but that is slow costs about $20 and the outcome is still unknown.
I service center can try the boot disk method first and if that fails then they can tell you what options are available eg. data retrieval.
I assume that when you say no backup you don't have a Time machine backup on an external drive at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Got the Apple OS X.6 install disc? Boot from that and leave Installer and go to Uitilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. Maybe bad news about the hard drive. And get a backup going today via an external hard drive in a caddy.

You cannot get OS X.6 Snow Leopard via download originally, only by DVDs so I trust it is not an illegal install.

OP
P
Reaction score
Got the Apple OS X.6 install disc? Boot from that and leave Installer and go to Uitilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. Maybe bad news about the hard drive. And get a backup going today via an external hard drive in a caddy.

You cannot get OS X.6 Snow Leopard via download originally, only by DVDs so I trust it is not an illegal install.

i don't have the disk, someone else put snow leopard for me.

OP
P
Reaction score
I see, well I hate to say this but your safest and probably cheapest option is to take it to an Apple service center.
No doubt you want to save your data but it does sound like your HD is damaged or at least in need of repair. In order to find out you need to attempt to boot from another source preferably the original or current system disk. You can then run Disk Utility to verify/repair your permissions and drive.
You can purchase the Snow Leopard disks from Apple but that is slow costs about $20 and the outcome is still unknown.
I service center can try the boot disk method first and if that fails then they can tell you what options are available eg. data retrieval.
I assume that when you say no backup you don't have a Time machine backup on an external drive at all?
nope don't a time machine backup, and thanks for the suggestion

C

chas_m

I will never understand why people don't backup their data.

I second the suggestion to stop fooling around and get thee hence to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Centre and pray they can help you.

High-level disk recovery services start at a couple grand, so let's hope you don't have to go that route.

OP
P
Reaction score
I will never understand why people don't backup their data.

I second the suggestion to stop fooling around and get thee hence to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Centre and pray they can help you.

High-level disk recovery services start at a couple grand, so let's hope you don't have to go that route.

alright will do, thanks !

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright will do, thanks !

Yep, good luck with that, hopefully it will be fairly easy to fix and given the age of your laptop (I'm guessing from your original OSX) and assuming you're not on a really tight budget, now would be a very good time to buy a USB or faster external hard drive and back up the whole thing with Time Machine. Next time might be too late.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Possibily an important lesson. How much less expensive it is to have a backup...versus what could be a very expensive recovery by a professional.

Fingers crossed that everything is recoverable...and not too expensive!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.