Putting the alt/option key back in

Reaction score
Hey Mac-Forums,
After an unfortunate event I managed to spill Mountain Dew on my Mac. To undo the stickyness, I popped the keys off the keyboard and swabbed them to help get the sugar and everything off of them. This all went smoothly until the last key I tried cleaning: the alt key. It seems like no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get the key to go back in. Is there any way I can figure out how to fix this? My Macbook Pro was purchased new around October 2012, if that helps explain what the keys look like.

Thanks,
Jared

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you removed & reinstalled multiple keys…then the last key (alt/option) should go on the same exact way. If not…then something got damaged.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Half of the key (the top half) will go in properly, but the bottom half doesn't grab. Is there a place I could get replacement parts for those little plastic pieces or would I have to order a whole new keyboard?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Be very glad that the Mountain Dew didn't destroy the whole computer. Then you would be looking at a lot more than one key (a new computer).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.