Mavericks Disk and Disk Utility Issues

Reaction score
I've had a number of issues with disks recently, but the problems have reached such an elementary level now that I'm considering going back to an earlier system.

Hardware: Early 2009 Mac Pro 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Internal drives of 2-2-3-3 TB drives
External USB 2.0 dock
External eSATA dock driven by Newertech MAXPower eSATA 6G 2.0 card
Plenty of external drives for backup, used one at a time in a dock. The USB docks has been unused for at least a year, but I'm using it now because of problems with the eSATA dock.

At the most elementary level, I can take an internal 3TB drive, erase it (journaled, nothing special) and partition as 2Tb and 1TB. After successful partition, if I reboot in 10.6.8 (which runs great with this CPU) the first, larger partition will read as "Incompatible Format". Won't mount or anything. There's more detail below about my other woes, but this is huge- I haven't seen an issue like this before, and it makes me doubt the reliability of one of my most important tools in MAvericks.

On top of this, when running 10.9.4, I have issues with the eSATA chain. Amazingly, you can take a empty 2TB drive, clone a bunch of files to is using Carbon Copy Cloner, and the next time the disk is mounted get -50 errors and can't write to it or read deeper than the first level of the file structure. My guess is that the eSATA card isn't happy with 10.9, but I can't find any documentation spelling that out. And I have some full 2TB drives that still work great (recent WD- the problem ones are all Seagate, but not all Seagates are problems).

I might buy a new card from Sonnet or a newer Newertech one, but the fact that Disk Utility on its own can't produce reliable partitions had me more doubtful of Mavericks than ever.

Any comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
let me see if I understand

1. Disk Utility for 10.9.4 formats hardware; however, 10.6.8 doesn't recognize the format.
2. OS boot 10.9.4 is inconsistent with eSATA file write.

my guess is the low level device driver. Have you talked to Newertech support?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested not Mavericks but maybe the card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.