Help reading USB that is Windows-formatted on MAC

Reaction score
Hi there, how do I use a USB, that has been formatted on my Windows laptop, on my Mac? I've tried to format it on my Mac through the Disk Utility as a FAT format, but the Mac still doesn't reflect the files that were copied across on my laptop

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since you formatted this USB stick on your Mac. Are you trying to copy files from a Windows computer onto your Mac?…or simply trying to use this USB stick with your Mac?

If you're trying to copy files…what sort of files are they?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you formatted the USB drive on your Mac after you put the files on it via the Windows computer, then all the files are now gone. The simplest way to go about sharing files is to use FAT32 on the USB drive (exFAT is probably a better choice due to fewer limitations). If you need to use NTFS for any reason, then get a 3rd party driver to enable OS X to write to an NTFS drive (it can only read them natively). Paragon NTFS is the one we recommend.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the responses.

@Nick - trying to copy files on the USB on my laptop, and then save them to my Mac. The Mac recognises that when the USB is inserted but doesn't recognise any of the files that were saved to it. Files are predominantly Word, Excel, PDF, Powerpoint, JPG. I initially 'Erased' it on the MAC in FAT, but when I inserted into the Windows laptop, it asked me to install encryption on the USB. Does that make any difference?

@Lifeisabeach - thanks; umm...I don't really understand what you're telling me from the second sentence onward - sorry, I'm not technically minded when it comes to these things (despite my ability to get into the correct forum :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi thanks for the responses.

@Nick - trying to copy files on the USB on my laptop, and then save them to my Mac. The Mac recognises that when the USB is inserted but doesn't recognise any of the files that were saved to it. Files are predominantly Word, Excel, PDF, Powerpoint, JPG. I initially 'Erased' it on the MAC in FAT, but when I inserted into the Windows laptop, it asked me to install encryption on the USB. Does that make any difference?

Don't install encryption. The Mac likely won't be able to read it. Leave the drive formatted as FAT32 or exFAT.

@Lifeisabeach - thanks; umm...I don't really understand what you're telling me from the second sentence onward - sorry, I'm not technically minded when it comes to these things (despite my ability to get into the correct forum :))

As long as you stick to using FAT, no need to worry about it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Will give it a try tomorrow and let you know if still doesn't work. Thanks for the speedy responses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.