Grandson - first year collage student - MBP or MBA

Reaction score
Picking a Mac for me is easy (maxed out MBP), however picking one out for someone else isn't.
While he was raised on Win, I'm correcting that! If grandma is buying, grandma picks the computer.
I can teach him how to use the Mac, after all we all know how easy that is.

My problem is having to watch the budget, not wanting to over buy, yet want to make sure his computer can make it the 4 years of collage. (or at least 3 years)

I was thinking the MBA (i7, 8gigs) since it's lighter, better battery life and cheaper.
However the MBP has more horse power, but costs more.

I don't think he will be doing much gaming, between school, work and girlfriend, not to mention he does have a Xbox.
He doesn't do photography or video editing.
As for special software for school, don't know. I know the first couple of years are core classes so there shouldn't be any. As for the last two years, at this moment he is looking at a major in electrical engineering, so there might be something later.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would think either machine should be OK. Later on when he gets deeper into engineering courses he may need something with more power. Young folks like to carry their computers from class to class in a back pack so maybe the lighter longer battery life MBA might be better. In any event, keep in mind that the MBA and retina MacBook Pro machines are not user upgradeable for memory (modules are soldered) and can be very expensive to upgrade the storage capacity. (SSD flash drive)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Picking a Mac for me is easy (maxed out MBP), however picking one out for someone else isn't.
While he was raised on Win, I'm correcting that! If grandma is buying, grandma picks the computer.
I can teach him how to use the Mac, after all we all know how easy that is.

My problem is having to watch the budget, not wanting to over buy, yet want to make sure his computer can make it the 4 years of collage. (or at least 3 years).....

Hi Robinpow - I think that you are giving yourself too much credit in the statement above in bold - kids these days are quite savvy in picking up computers regardless of the OS - you really need to discuss the needs w/ him (i.e. don't make the issue a surprise gift) - either machine should work - Dave :)

C

chas_m

If you're buying something new, and he's not heavy into graphics/gaming, the MBA should be fine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! You have confirmed my hunch, it will be the MBA.

Dave, most kids are savvy, however dear grandson isn't one of them. Not his fault, but his mother didn't allow him exposure to computers to speak of. His idea of a good computer was a 6 year old HP, of which about all he knew how to do as of the June was basic Facebook and yahoo mail.
This summer I've been teaching him about computers and use of the internet. Stuff that most younger kids know.
So this is one of those cases where I'm pulling the 'grandma knows best' card. Start him off on a Mac, then as he catches up with the world, he will have the knowledge to make good decisions.
BTW not a surprise gift, he knows he's getting a Mac. We are traveling next week-end to a Mac Store the next state over, because of it being Tax Free. Even with gas prices I'm saving over $70 just on sales tax.
Buying a Mac is good, seeing grandson get his first real computer... priceless. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks everyone! You have confirmed my hunch, it will be the MBA.

Dave, most kids are savvy, however dear grandson isn't one of them. Not his fault, but his mother didn't allow him exposure to computers to speak of. His idea of a good computer was a 6 year old HP, of which about all he knew how to do as of the June was basic Facebook and yahoo mail..........

Buying a Mac is good, seeing grandson get his first real computer... priceless. :)

Hi again - thanks for the additional information and explanation - sounds like you have all under control - :)

Your grandson will be able to look, feel, & hold the various laptop models which will hopefully help you decide on which one to purchase - good luck! Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.