pdf printer setting

Reaction score
I added a new epson printer, now i can not print a pdf file with preview, but i can print with adobe reader. i would rather use preview, how can I change the setting?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure Preview is the default app for PDF. Sounds like you somehow have changed the default PDF app to Adobe Reader. Sometimes when Adobe Reader is installed it will take over as the default. You need to change it back to Preview.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I added a new epson printer, now i can not print a pdf file with preview, but i can print with adobe reader. i would rather use preview, how can I change the setting?

Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

As already suggested, you likely need to change the default app for printing your PDF files - this can be confusing if not done previously - so, if you are not familiar w/ the procedure then let me offer a few suggestions:

- Select a PDF file and right-click to open a context menu
- Then select 'Get Info' which will bring up the dialog box to the left in the image attached
- Go to where the blue arrow shows 'Open with:' - make sure that Preview is selected
- If you want the change to be the permanent default then choose 'Change All..' (red arrow)

See if this works for you - if not, please post back - Dave

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 11.49.09 PM.png

OP
W
Reaction score
Preview was originally set up to open all pdf files received via Outlook, which I use for email. However, after installing a new epson printer yesterday, the files would not longer print from Preview. when I changed the file I wanted to print to Adobe Reader this morning, it would print. After reading your post I switched everything back to Preview and received the following:
*for a pdf file on desktop, I reveived the following popup window saying, "The document "news 14-06.pdf" could not be opened for printing."
*when I click on the attached file in Outlook and hit preview and then open with preview, the file opens. But I hit command-p to print the file, instead of the preview file coming up in the print window, the email message comes up and that is all that will print.
What in the world is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
*for a pdf file on desktop, I reveived the following popup window saying, "The document "news 14-06.pdf" could not be opened for printing."

Does this happen with any PDF files in various folders, or just with this particular one?
It might have printing restricted - check in Properties.

*when I click on the attached file in Outlook and hit preview and then open with preview, the file opens. But I hit command-p to print the file, instead of the preview file coming up in the print window, the email message comes up and that is all that will print.

Try saving the file to a folder, and dealing with it separately, rather than from within an email message. Purely to narrow down the culprit (i.e. Outlook or PDF file itself, or CUPS, etc, etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.