iMac tune-up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
My iMac has "slowed down" some and I'm wondering what items should be periodically done - or programs to run - that will "tune up" the OS so that it runs efficiently, meaning faster? :Confused:

In advance - thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 13.6; iPhone 6S; G4 Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1152MB OS X 10.5.8.
What is the full specification of your iMac, especially in relation to HDD and RAM?

How much spare HDD space do you have?

You can have a look around in Activity Monitor application to see if any resource hogs running inadvertently.

You can run Onyx maintenance application occasionally, which can verify your HDD status, amongst other things.

JP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The first 24" models were released eight years ago. Course it will slow down when one considers how web sites etc have advanced in the last year or two. As these original 24" modleswould handle only 3GB of memory max, they will struggle.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
What is the full specification of your iMac, especially in relation to HDD and RAM?

How much spare HDD space do you have?

You can have a look around in Activity Monitor application to see if any resource hogs running inadvertently.

You can run Onyx maintenance application occasionally, which can verify your HDD status, amongst other things.

JP
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Hard Drive has 798 GB capacity (partitioned for Windows 7)
Available is 565 GB

As I joined this forum in 2009 that would have been the purchase date of the machine.

Another question would be where does the time go? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That last one is easy fireman. Where does the time go?

Simple ~ they do not make clocks like they used to (or mirrors).

C

chas_m

My iMac has "slowed down" some and I'm wondering what items should be periodically done - or programs to run - that will "tune up" the OS so that it runs efficiently, meaning faster? :Confused:

In advance - thanks!

This question gets asked a lot in one form or another, and a regular reading of the forum would answer it multiple times over (but I'm not suggesting that I'm "annoyed" that its been asked again). To summarize, here's how to keep your Mac running its best for years on end:

1. Routine backups. All hard drives (and even SSDs) have a risk of sudden failure at any time. Age has little to do with it, though the risk increases as time goes by. You may also be experiencing the first signs of a failing hard drive; having backups will get you through that inevitability, or you may want to just change out the HD and restore from backups as a preventative measure after a certain number of years.

2. Plenty of free space on the boot drive. This one you seem to have covered, but its a good rule for everyone so I'm including it. By "plenty" I mean multiple gigs. I don't subscribe to the rule of "20 percent" because as drives get larger that rule gets sillier, but at least 20GB or so for light-duty users, at least double that for more serious users.

3. Run a maintenance utility regularly. We recommend the free OnyX, even though you have to work around Apple's "Gatekeeper" technology to run it. It's that good at what it does. I suggest running it roughly quarterly, perhaps a bit more often for serious power-users. AVOID MACKEEPER and similar software, they are scamware, even if you see it advertised here (Mac-Forums as *no control* over what gets advertised on the site).

Side-note: in normal use, a "defragging" of the hard drive isn't necessary, but back when major OS upgrades came out every 2-3 years I had a habit of what is called "nuke and pave," that is cloning the boot drive, erasing the boot drive, and restoring the boot drive from a cloned external. This is "poor man's defragging" and for power-users might be a good idea every year or two. There's also some programs that can handle this for you IF you have a sufficient quantity of contiguous free space (see #2 above).

4. Be aware of background programs and bad habits. More than once I've had someone complain that their Mac is terribly slow, only to discover they're running a torrenting program 24/7. Turn that off and SURPRISE, things are zippy again. A few clients who insist on keeping gigabytes of data on their desktop were astounded when I removed all that clutter and their Finder once again became fast and responsive. Know what is running in the background on your computer. Be reasonably organized with your files. Put stuff where it belongs.

5. Be aware of changing perceptions. If you originally started using your Mac five years ago to read email and surf the web, but now your shooting and editing HD wedding videos or playing high-end games, your Mac is naturally going to "feel" slower due to a combination of your changing tastes and the ever-increasing complexity of web and software technology. This is why we often say you should only expect to get about five years out of a computer investment (a bit less if we're talking about mobile devices).

Provided you have faithfully followed the steps above, your machine isn't getting slower; more likely, your needs are getting "faster." :) At that point its time to look at upgrades (such as more RAM and larger/faster HD or SSD storage) that will help, or perhaps its time to look at buying a new(er) machine.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.