file transfer

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I am new to the forum so please bear with me if I get in the wrong dissuasion thread etc...

I have a very large amount of jpeg files in my pictures folder on my old windows machine which I would like to transfer over to my new iMac. What do you think would be the best method to use... I am not adverse to a external hard drive, but would it be formatted correctly once reconnected to the mac ? Or am I relegated to filling up memory cards and doing it piecemeal ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Quickest (as far as copying speed) - remove drive and put it in a USB or Firewire enclosure.
Easiest - get yourself some USB sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a very large amount of jpeg files in my pictures folder on my old windows machine which I would like to transfer over to my new iMac. What do you think would be the best method to use... I am not adverse to a external hard drive........

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

Well, you've already been given several choices, but an external HD would likely be the easiest option and not much of an investment - if formatted as FAT32 or NTFS, you can transfer your JPEG images onto the drive and then transfer them to your new iMac.

Then if you are planning to use Time Machine (a must!), you can reformat the HD to Mac OS Extended (HFS+) (as required for TM) and backup your new computer and the images - there are plenty of 'other ways' to make this transfer w/ an external HD - check HERE for a more extensive discussion. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.