zipping files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Not that I use it that often, but does osx have a zipping utility built in? Maybe that compression tactic is old school. Is there a new one that should/could be used for many files.
Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Right click the files > Compress. That's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Right click the files > Compress. That's it.

Now, I don't compress files anymore but know that the option existed and that there are a number of terminal programs that can handle the operation.

BUT, out of curiosity, I went to Finder and selected a couple of files - double clicked the trackpad - there was no option to 'compress' the files; checked in the Finder menu bar and the 'Compress' command was grayed out - hmmm?

Found a short discussion in the Apple Communities which suggested checking the the System -> .... CoreServices for the App icon shown in the attached image (arrow) - well, it was present, so I simply right-click and the 'Compress' command was present; then retested as before and 'Compress' now is not grayed out in my Finder menu - have no idea what the issue might have been, but if others have the same experience, then the maneuvers I used could help - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 10.56.04 AM.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Oh Super! It does work and it does create a .zip file. I wasn't sure what compress actually did. Now I know. Many thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Found a short discussion in the Apple Communities which suggested checking the the System -> .... CoreServices for the App icon shown in the attached image (arrow) - well, it was present, so I simply right-click and the 'Compress' command was present; then retested as before and 'Compress' now is not grayed out in my Finder menu - have no idea what the issue might have been, but if others have the same experience, then the maneuvers I used could help - Dave :)
That's weird - I have no idea why that would work nor do I know what that enables...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
That's weird - I have no idea why that would work nor do I know what that enables...

Well continued 'weirdness' - ;)

The issue returned, i.e. 'Compress' is not in the right-click context menu and the option is grayed-out in the Finder menu bar; PLUS, it is identical on our iMac (both running the same most recent version of Mavericks).

Did some more searching and found a discussion on the app Total Finder causing the problem (screen capture from their website below) - I have the program installed on both of our Mavericks machines - not sure that is the cause w/o uninstalling the app and testing again - will try to contact Total Finder support and see if the latest version is acting up w/ Mavericks? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 4.08.06 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.