back up advice

Reaction score
:Shouting:I am trying to back up the files off my MacBook onto my external ( Iomega ) but am being told that unless I erase all my files on the Iomega, the hard drive is incompatible to the Mac. What do I need to do next?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do I need to do next?

What is or was this external drive currently used for? Was it being used with a Windows computer? If so…and you don't want to erase/reformat it…then it may be best to get another external drive to format for backup use with your Mac.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
when I buy an apple external hard drive, to back up the Mac files, is there any way that I can transfer all the files from the Iomega, ( which was used originally for the pc , with windows ) onto the Apple hard drive ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
First, the new drive does not have to be Mac specific. Any external drive should work though you will need to format it to Mac OS Extended Journaled/

Since the drive you have was being used with a PC the Mac should be able to read it once connected. You can then copy the files to either your Mac's hard drive or another external drive.

OP
O
Reaction score
The Mac can read the Iomega, but is telling me that if I want to use it to back up the Mac it will delete everything that is on the Iomega.????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Mac can read the Iomega, but is telling me that if I want to use it to back up the Mac it will delete everything that is on the Iomega.????

That's correct. In order for Time Machine to utilize the iomega drive it has to erase it and re-format to the Mac OS Journaled File System. Make sure you save off any data you need on the iomega drive before you use it for backing up your Mac with Time Machine.

OP
O
Reaction score
Back up advice

That's correct. In order for Time Machine to utilize the iomega drive it has to erase it and re-format to the Mac OS Journaled File System. Make sure you save off any data you need on the iomega drive before you use it for backing up your Mac with Time Machine.

Thank you for your answer, I am a novice with apple , I understand what you said but I am not sure how to save data on the Iomega, as I see no instructions. I have looked for information but to no avail. Can you explain what I should do next, getting quite frustrated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you need to save the data on the Iomega, consider buying another drive and using that after formatting Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to backup your Mac.

OP
O
Reaction score
Back up advice

In order to backup your files using Time Machine do the following:

1. Connect the drive to the Mac and copy any data to another location (mac main drive, thumb drive, external drive, etc)
2. Using Disk Utility reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled . Ignore the stuff about the command line. It's another way to do what you will already have done with Disk Utility.
3. Now go to System Preferences and set up Time Machine pane. You should be able to begin with step 3 of that article.

Hello Slydude,
Thanks for taking time to explain what to do, but I am afraid I'm not confident to do it, as I don't quite understand. I have just booked a slot on Wednesday with genius at the Apple store, so hopefully they will help me out. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello Slydude,
Thanks for taking time to explain what to do, but I am afraid I'm not confident to do it, as I don't quite understand. I have just booked a slot on Wednesday with genius at the Apple store, so hopefully they will help me out. Thanks again.

Hi Ouzo1950 - well your other option is to simply buy a new external HD w/ 1 or 2 TB capacity and use the new one solely for your Time Machine backup - these now cost less than $100 - plenty are available at AMAZON - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.