Another Wifi: No Hardware Installed

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a macbook pro a1278 and I bought it off ebay with the seller claiming that the wifi didnt work. Now the seller is right, but when I took off the black clutch cover and ran the laptop, the airport card gets warm meaning that there is power to it. I'm thinking that the seller accidentally put the airport cable in the wrong way causing my logic board to be damaged and not recognize the airport card. Is this possible? Because I read that if you put the cable in the wrong way, it damages your logic board. Thanks for the help.

This is what system profiler shows:
egzs5k.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another possibility is the airport card is dead...gone...kaput!;)

How do you know that your MacBook Pro's logic board is damaged? And if the MacBook Pro's logic board really is damaged..then there's really not much point being concerned about the Wifi issue!

Take a look at this ifixit.com procedure:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2009+AirPort+Card+Replacement/6019

If your MacBook Pro's airport card has 2 wires...I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter how they are connected. The two wires are basically two antennas. One goes around the right side of the display...and one goes around the left side of the display.

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to say that I've already tried another cable, airport card, and antennae and it still doesnt work. Im thinking that there is a blown fuse or transistor on the logic board

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It always helps to tell us what you've already done so we can go from there and not have to ask redundant questions. ;) However, you're probably correct about the logic board as there have been other threads about connecting the card. (backwards) And since there is no fuse or transistor on the logic board (everything is integrated and surface mounted), it's likely something was shorted out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.