I need an SSD for my macbook. Which are compatible?

Reaction score
I'm sure OWC are great. But I really don't want to get into ordering overseas, currency conversions (and fees) to US$, possible issues with import tax, etc...

Having said that - I've been having a terrible time trying to buy the memory locally. I spent hours at the digital mall in Taipei today. I just couldn't get the memory! People kept telling me that the brand that they sell wouldn't work in a MacBook. Some tried to sell me over-priced memory alternatives. Others said that Kingston was the ONLY memory guaranteed to work.

When I spoke to the Kingston guys - they reassured me that I could buy ANY brand of memory. Not just theirs.

Several times - I had the money in my hand, ready to exchange for memory - and when I told them it was for a "MacBook" the sellers got too skittish to complete the transaction!

I found some reasonably priced Kingston memory in the end. And they guy in the shop even looked up the specs of my late 2008 MacBook. The memory was 4GB 1600MHz and had 8 surface mounted chips. Two rows of four. The guy told me this would be a problem, because my original memory only one row of 4 surface mounted chips.

... This all sounded very strange to me. I'd never heard of this issue. Was he right?

It's impossible to buy 1066MHz memory nowadays. I can only find the over-specced (1333 or 1600MHz) memory. IS there a problem with these?

SO WHAT'S THE STORY? Why were all these vendors so concerned about compatibility with a Macbook? And if there ARE compatibility issues... What should I be looking for?

And brand recommendations? - that are KNOWN to work?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
Try Crucial

I have a late 2008 unibody macbook aluminum. i want to upgrade its ram and i want to put in a solid state drive. I need it for the speed increase. Not so much for the storage factor (I have everything stored on a 1TB external hard drive.) so the storage on the ssd isnt important. I would like to spend as less as possible. Any ideas? Which ones are compatible? I am going to be using E-Bay to find these items.

I am a fan of Crucial (Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS). I have many times bought RAM and hard drives from them including the SSD I just installed in my 2012 MacBook Pro. Never once did I have anything fail. They use Micro RAM. There is a scanning process available which can scan your machine and determine which of their products are compatible with your machine. No guessing needed. Check them out.

Reaction score
I came across their compatibility calculator before. It's a bit useless. I want to upgrade to 8GB RAM. Not just 2 or 4. And I don't want to order overseas to get this. I want to buy it in Taiwan if possible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I found some reasonably priced Kingston memory in the end. And they guy in the shop even looked up the specs of my late 2008 MacBook. The memory was 4GB 1600MHz and had 8 surface mounted chips. Two rows of four. The guy told me this would be a problem, because my original memory only one row of 4 surface mounted chips.

... This all sounded very strange to me. I'd never heard of this issue. Was he right?

Yes, he was right. That memory would not work and could possibly cause damage to your MacBook. Stay away from it.

It's impossible to buy 1066MHz memory nowadays. I can only find the over-specced (1333 or 1600MHz) memory. IS there a problem with these?

Yes, they very likely will not work in your MacBook. Macs are extremely fussy about having the correct memory. And it's not impossible to buy 1066 modules, perhaps just difficult because of your present location. Aren't there any official Mac dealers or authorized service centers there in Taiwan?

I'm sure OWC are great. But I really don't want to get into ordering overseas, currency conversions (and fees) to US$, possible issues with import tax, etc...

OWC ships world wide even to places like New Zealand and Australia. I haven't heard of any complaints from our members who reside there and have purchased from them. You may have no choice but to purchase outside of Taiwan if you can't find the correct memory for your MacBook.

Reaction score
I may not need it after all. I've been playing around with it since I put in the SSD - and already it seems much more responsive running Mavericks. That's all I wanted until new MacBook models are announced in a month or so. In the meantime, if I can get by without wasting money on memory that I'll just be using for a few months - then I'll put the money towards a new computer.

I haven't tried doing anything serious yet. But so far, the SSD alone seems to have done the trick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're satisfied with the performance of your MacBook with the new SSD, then it makes sense not to fuss over obtaining memory for it.

That's all I wanted until new MacBook models are announced in a month or so. In the meantime, if I can get by without wasting money on memory that I'll just be using for a few months - then I'll put the money towards a new computer.

You may have a very long wait.... as there will be no new announcements from Apple for quite some time regarding the MacBook Pro line. They just this week updated the 13" and 15" retina MacBook Pro line and since there will not be another MacBook produced by Apple, that's it for now. The standard 13" MacBook Pro with optical drive is still available and is in fact the only MacBook Pro that Apple currently sells that is user upgradeable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.