• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New To Making A Website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12" - 1.33Ghz. 40GB, Ipod Shuffle 1GB.
Hi Everyone!!!
I have just bought a domain and wanted to start developing my webpage. Im completely new to this and am still in the process of learning more. So far I am creating my webpage but was wondering if the Apple IBook G4 had any programs that would be able to help me develop a webpage? I have MacOffice and was not sure if there could be a program in that, which would be able to help me develop my webpage. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Please let me know?
P.S. I am downloading dreamweaver also, any other programs that are user friendly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
dont download buy...
with that aside that.. photoshop is good for desiging web pages and editing photos to put on your site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Photoshop is good to make webpages, but it can be a little tricky. If you have no experience with photoshop I suggest using dreamweaver and make a simple site to start out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't photoshop mostly for pictures and stuff? Other than that can I use any tools from Microsoft to develop a page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
frontpage is the only microsoft program that makes webpages, and it (to be honest) is not that good, the code it creates is not the best, and its features are behind the times. I also do not believe it is avaliable on mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
No its not available for mac, and yes photoshop is mainly for constructing and editing images. It can also be used to make really cool looking webpages, its just tough because you need to know all of the tools to get a good site from photoshop. As long as you stay simple at first, you can make a really great site in photoshop, it just takes a little practice.

Reaction score
You should have a look at Nvu , it's freeware. Also if you want to edit images for a website then there are a lot more affordable (and free) alternatives, photoshop would be overkill for the price.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, but so far everyones been mentioning photoshop...and Im sorta confused as to how photoshop would be able to help me develop a website. All I need for the time being is a website that looks like a website or even a sign saying "this site is under construction" with a funky coloured background or something. Would photoshop be able to do that. I am going to check NVU out and will also check photoshop I guess but would that really help considering I just need to start the website in its basic stages. I heard someone tell me on Mac's theres a folder called "sites" which apparently helps in developing sites. Any idea about that? Lemme know please...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
hmm... try using iWeb if you have OS X Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
or try using textedit just remember to edit the source so there is no errors

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what's iWeb

BlindingLights said:
hmm... try using iWeb if you have OS X Tiger?
I have OS X Tiger 10.4 or the newest version I believe. Just got my laptop in november 2005 so i'm pretty sure I have the new Tiger OS X, however I did a search for iWeb and it did not show up. What is iWeb? Am I supposed to have it? I did a search in the quick finder but it did not show up.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was also wondering if appleworks has any features in it to create websites. Aren't MAC's supposed to be the computers for designing websites and other creative things and if so, howcome they don't come with any software :(

R

robertday

If you got your laptop in November then no.. you won't have iWeb, it comes with iLife '06 adn it is really easy to create a quick website although not as good for anything complicated....
Yes Macs are amazing pieces of hardware and you can do creative things things with them which turn out amazing, but you really need to buy some software if you want to do something really good, if you want to do something quick just use Dreamweaver which is easy if you want something quick withouy learning. Altgough you can get really complicated with Dreamweavver and get some really good sites!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks robertday!!! I am going to download i'life ASAP. It just sucks though that I did not get it with my computer when I bought it 4 months ago. By the way would you know if Apple Works 6 might have any tools to create webpages? Thanks alot...!

R

robertday

You will have to buy iLife '06 from Apple, you wont be able to download it, but you will also get an iWork trial once bought from Apple. I don't think Apple Works has any web making software altough I deleted it a few months ago due to not using it....
I would recommend iWeb if it is your first website or just starting as it is very easy to use and is basically just typing. If you do not have a .Mac account you will need to know how to FTP, it is very easy to use and I recommend Cyberduck...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
robertday said:
You will have to buy iLife '06 from Apple, you wont be able to download it, but you will also get an iWork trial once bought from Apple. I don't think Apple Works has any web making software altough I deleted it a few months ago due to not using it....
I would recommend iWeb if it is your first website or just starting as it is very easy to use and is basically just typing. If you do not have a .Mac account you will need to know how to FTP, it is very easy to use and I recommend Cyberduck...

Thanks Alot robertday...I was on the apple website and saw the software which includes garage band, iDVD, iMovie etc...I have all that except for iWeb. Anyway I can just get iWeb or not? Also when I do buy the software will my current iDVD, Imovie etc. upgrade to the new settings or will i just be getting iWeb as a new program and thats it? Appreciate all the help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
pocketaces said:
Thanks Alot robertday...I was on the apple website and saw the software which includes garage band, iDVD, iMovie etc...I have all that except for iWeb. Anyway I can just get iWeb or not? Also when I do buy the software will my current iDVD, Imovie etc. upgrade to the new settings or will i just be getting iWeb as a new program and thats it? Appreciate all the help :)

The software you have preinstalled is all older versions than what is shown on the website. iWeb and the rest of the suite of software was just recently updated.

You cannot get iWeb separately from the rest of the software suite. If you check in the web design portion of mac-forums, there is a thread that has a bunch of examples of sites that have been made with iWeb.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rs2sensen said:
The software you have preinstalled is all older versions than what is shown on the website. iWeb and the rest of the suite of software was just recently updated.

You cannot get iWeb separately from the rest of the software suite. If you check in the web design portion of mac-forums, there is a thread that has a bunch of examples of sites that have been made with iWeb.

Thank You. :)

A

achinfish

GAH! Learn to code! It's not hard at all, very dissimilar from application programming (not entirely accurate, but I want you to jump in without fear.) Web design software is best as a shortcut for people who already know how to code. If you don't want to learn how to code, you're better off just using your ISP's Build-Your-Own-Site templates. If you are serious about making sites, with or without software, start the right way. Seriously, coding is so easy if you just tell yourself you can do it. Go buy Beginning Web Programming with HTML, XHTML, and CSS. (Wrox Press, ISBN 0764570781)

Yes, the book looks huge when you first see it, but it's because the author wants ANYONE, of any computer skill level, to be able to pick up the book and use it.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.