TG587n v3 and AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Generation)

Reaction score
Ok so yesterday I had a technician from telstra come in to check what was going on with the internet as I experience lots of drop outs and fluctuating speeds. After some testing the line was clear all the way to the modem with "good speeds" of 7.2 Mbps (the expected for my area on ADSL2+).

I believe the problem is the modem its self but I'm not sure if it is because of my current settings or just a faulty modem. Currently i am using the modems wifi on some devices and then an ethernet through the gigabit port is plugged into my time capsule, which is giving of its own wireless as well. The purpose of this is because my PS4 receives a nat 3 signal from the TC and a nat 2 signal from the modem and the modem has a better range. However right now I have a better signal from the modem and I'm barely getting 1mbps and through the TC wifi I'm getting about 5.5 with a poorer quality signal. Any ideas why this might be happening and what is causing the dropouts? If anymore info is required please let me know and ill update this thread as soon as I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1. When you say modem do you mean router?

2. If so, is your time capsule in bridge mode?

3. Can you explain what you mean by "nat 2 signal"/"nat 3 signal"?

4. What do you mean by dropouts? loss of wifi signal or just a big slow down?

5. Are the ethernet connected devices impacted?

OP
F
Reaction score
1. When you say modem do you mean router?

2. If so, is your time capsule in bridge mode?

3. Can you explain what you mean by "nat 2 signal"/"nat 3 signal"?

4. What do you mean by dropouts? loss of wifi signal or just a big slow down?

5. Are the ethernet connected devices impacted?

1. The modem is a router I say modem because the time capsule is technically a router as well.

2. Yes my time capsule is in bridge mode

3. a nat 3 signal means not enough ports are open I'm not sure why but this seems to have changed since I factory rest the time capsule and it is now a nat 2

4. By drop outs I mean at some random hour i can reach ~5mbs and then other times I can barely reach 1mbps. However even though I get a stronger signal from the modem/router I can rarely ever get more than 1mbps unless I am within a few meters of it. So it the speed drops out dramatically where as the connection seems to drop out normally if that makes sense?

5.Ethernet devices are not impacted as often. Sometimes there are drop outs.

Here is the DSL info from my modem/router:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 17:20:57

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,012 / 6,755

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 254.28 / 3.58

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 19.1

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 35.6 / 54.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.1

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 412 / 3

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,253 / 29,551

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 87 / 732

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,148 / 3,234

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Where are you seeing these 'nat' signals exactly?

How are you measuring your speeds?

Are you using 2.4ghz, 5ghz or both for your wireless networks?

Your issue, I'd suggest, fits wits cross channel interference.

Download and use iStumbler or network diagnostics in OSX if you have mountain lion or above.
Take a looks at the channels being used nearby. Particularly when you speeds drop. Move your wireless channels away from crowded local channels.

If you're definitely experincing the same slow downs on Ethernet you need to disconnect everything and connect directly to the modem/router. Test. If that's ok add the TC back in and connect directly to that. Gradually build from there. You'll also need to consider if you have anything on your devices that may be hogging bandwidth in the background

OP
F
Reaction score
The Ps4 gives an indication of nat signals upon connection

I measure my speeds on speedtest.net as directed by my provider and I use the closest telstra server available

The modem/router is on a 2.4 Ghz channel while the TC has both

I have tried changing channels without any luck and I have also built everything up gradually as you have mentioned.

Is it possible the the modem/routers out put power is not high enough?

Also sometimes a single connection to the ethernet shows normal speeds but it seems to me like problems with the modems wifi more than anything else as on a 2.4Ghz channel 11 i can get ~5mbps with the TC and the modem on the exact same settings will barely give me 1Mbps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The NAT that you're seeing reference to is nothing to do with ports or signals or wifi. It's address translation. In this instance I think it's a red herring.

You don't really go into detail with the results of all the things I asked you to try so it's hard to advise further. However I thing your last line is most telling.

I'd suggest you disable the wifi on your modem/router and just use the TC. I'd suggest it's faulty or more likely it's poor ISP supplied hardware. As you have dual band to go at on the TC I'd use that.
Also worth nothing that you say you have exactly the same settings on both. If so that's two networks competing on channel 11.

OP
F
Reaction score
"Also worth nothing that you say you have exactly the same settings on both. If so that's two networks competing on channel 11." The I had the TC turned off at this time.

"I'd suggest it's faulty or more likely it's poor ISP supplied hardware. As you have dual band to go at on the TC I'd use that." I think its probably poor supplied hardware I'll try and get a new one and let you know how that goes. Also I'm planning on using a powerline for a better connection. Any tips with those?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're going for power line I'd suggest minimum 200mb units with pass through power. They should be connected direct to the socket where possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.