How do I restore from an Iomega 1TB external hard drive?

Reaction score
The hard drive on my fiancé's iMac failed. Her data was unrecoverable when the new drive was installed. The iMac is hooked up to an Iomega 1TB external drive, and it has Time Machine. Is there a way I can restore her data? I've not been able to figure out how to restore from either source.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming that Apple replaced the hard drive in the iMac, they usually will ask if you have a backup. If not, they will attempt to recover what data they can. However, in most cases if the drive failed it usually can not be accessed through normal procedures. Which means that unless she made a backup of her data prior to the drive failure, she can not recover anything.

If she made a backup to the 1 TB iomega drive before her hard drive crashed and it was a full backup, then her data can be restored. (Provided the backup was done correctly.) Let us know and we can go from there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@OP It seems like you are saying that there is a Time Machine backup in place. If so, give How to restore data from Time Machine in Mountain Lion | Macworld a read. The same procedure works for Mavericks. The article explains, restoring, single files, the entire system, or migrating data using Migration Assistant. The same procedure works for Mavericks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.