Can ipad digitizer work without the LCD screen?

Reaction score
Hello all, general question as above. Here's the specifics. Kid broke the glass screen on my ipad 4. ALL was working, just the cracked screen was an eyesore so I ordered a new glass digitizer from ebay. I ended up breaking the connection on the logic board for the LCD screen before realizing the geniuses at apple (who can do no wrong) made these connectors backwards from every other computer. Anyhow, I am going to send in the logic board for repair and wanted to completely erase everything on it, only now I cannot connect my lcd to see. I tried connecting to iTunes on my computer with the ipad connected, and the computer tells me to confirm ON THE IPAD that I want to connect to the ipad. SO, I connect my new digitizer screen to the ipad WITHOUT the LCD screen in place and start tapping all over the screen hoping I can hit the "yes" to confirm connection to my pc but it doesn't seem to work. I am now wondering if the LCD needs to be attached in order for the digitizer to work? I cannot connect my LCD since my connector is bad. My ipad does indeed get recognized by my computer, but I cannot seem to get the digitizer to work. I touched every fingerwidth all up and down and everywhere to no avail. The digitizer connection appears perfect. Straight line right at the connector on the ribbon.. Does anyone know if the digitizer should work without the LCD? I don't know if I got a defective digitizer from ebay. or it just won't work without the lcd attached. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't you remotely erase your iPad 4 from your Mac via WiFi? See the following Apple KB article: LINK

OP
M
Reaction score
interesting....thanks for the idea. I don't have a mac (probably doesn't make a difference), I will try to do that tomorrow, but regardless, it probably would again ask me to confirm on the ipad to connect or to confirm deletion? (I don't know, I never use iTunes either, I just connect my ipad to my computer and use windows to retrieve photos/videos). I'm not concerned about losing data at all, as I've already saved all the photos and stuff before I screwed it up, I just didn't delete the photos after I saved them to my computer and don't want some pervert tech somewhere saving my stuff and ogling at my wife and/or kids (ewwwww!). Regardless, I'm hoping I can get verification that the digitizer should work even without an LCD attached, so I can at least get another digitizer while I wait for my logic board to be repaired. tried getting info from apple, but they seem to have their prepared responses memorized and gave me a talk on shelling out money to just get a replacement ipad from them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I will try to do that tomorrow, but regardless, it probably would again ask me to confirm on the ipad to connect or to confirm deletion?

No, any confirmation it asks would be from your PC via iTunes. However, I'm not sure if you're going to be able to do that if you have not previously set it up. In any event, take the iPad to your Apple Store and have them repair it. They'll wipe it for you so no need to worry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.