MS Excel in Wine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, 8GB, OS X Mavericks
Hi I'm trying to run MS Excel (2010) in wine,it appears to work ok, but if I try to open an existing spreadsheet it returns to say the file is corrupt, although the same file ( in drop box) opens fine on a PC, anyone any ideas what to look at first?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have found that MS Office does not run well or sometimes at all using WINE. If you got Excel to install using WINE it may have not done it correctly. MS Office for Windows will run in CrossOver but unfortunately CrossOver is not free. The latest version of Office that will properly run in CrossOver is Office 2010 for Windows.

The only thing I can suggest is try to install it again but this time you might want to use WineBottler instead. I've had much better luck with WineBottler but it too doesn't do as well as CrossOver.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag
Oops on closer inspection it was wine bottler!
Tried again and this time it opened (could see content) but just made a "bump" sound if I clicked on anything.
I think I might give crossover a look, at the moment it's only excel I'm lost with, not been on Mac long but loving it and got apps and stuff to handle just about everything else I need.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag you were spot on!
Downloaded trial of Crossover and my office 2010 loaded and ran immediately, happy boy (ok, old bloke) now I can get on learning the Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's great. Even though CrossOver is not free, it's a lot less expensive and troublesome than having to dual boot using Boot Camp and running Windows that way. Keep an eye out for a CrossOver special. For the past several years they've been running a special during the Summer where they actually gave away free licenses for the application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.