Newbie plz b kind!

Reaction score
Hello Mac ppls I have recently bought an old eMac with OSX 10.3 Panther (yes I knows its old but a start) I am ashamed to say I am a former windows user.. All I use it for now is my Web development course. Have been using Linux the last year or so and love the Open Source factor.. Am now wanting 2 go fully Apple as its so much better will take me sum time though. I am also starting an IT business in repairs and servies etc etc. As it has been nearly 17 years since I have sat down and fully used a Mac am a bit rusty. Am happy with it but heres my 1st problem I can not get net access I run off a Wi-Fi hot spot as its my only source or USB tether. I have a Wi-Fi adapter plugged in to USB port. I know this adapter works as I use it in my Ubuntu PC. How do I get net acces plz help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to Mac Forums!!

Can you give us more into on the Mac itself? What are the basic specs.

If you boot up OSX Panther, Click on the Apple in the Upper Left corner of the screen and on About this Mac and post what it says here if you would.

Also what is the brand and Model of the WiFi Dongle?

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The eMac is/was for most models essentially a "gumdrop" iMac. It has the e in front because it was targeted primarily at the education market. There were several configurations so we'll need the specs.

Assuming that the USB port is functional (other things work when attached) my suspicion is the USB dongle needs a driver. @Open Source who makes the USB dongle you are plugging into the eMac? It would be really helpful to know the chipset if you have that as well.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thx guys am learning slow am happy with i got. Ok heres the specs yes its old but a start.. OS version 10.3 Processor 1ghz. Power PC 3.3 RAM 256 gig (Lookin at upgrading maybe??) and a 57 gig HD (thinkin either bigger 1 or an SSD???) um the cards fine it plugs direct im 2 Linux and works fine the WI-Fi car is a JCG the model number JWL-N112R1 11N USB Adapter thats all I know for now

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...(thinkin either bigger 1 or an SSD???)

I'm a big fan of older Mac's…but not as my main Mac computer. Messing around with a 10 year-old eMac (trying to make it functional to work in the 2014 computer world)…is only going to create a lot of frustration for you.

An SSD in a 2003 eMac?? I guess maybe if you have an SSD just laying around gathering dust. But sure as heck…don't buy one to install in an eMac!

As far as that USB WIFI dongle. Very very few work well with Mac's…even worse with older Mac's. Just get yourself a Airport card for the eMac.

If you're serious about opening a computer repair and services business (and if this includes Mac computers)…work with something a little bit more modern (at least an Intel Mac of some sort).

This 1.0ghz eMac has so many software & hardware limitations. And if you try to upgrade it too much…it's just going to turn into a "money pit"! I guarantee you…if you spend too much money on it…you would be able to use the same money…and buy something MUCH better.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Some of the school eMacs did not have an Airport card, using a simple ethernet connection. To check this out go to Apple System Profiler (About this Mac) under the apple icon top left corner. See if anything appears under Airport or WiFi. Good luck with the eMac.

Have often posted (jokingly) they make great kellicks!

C

chas_m

I don't mean to rain on the parade, but honestly you need something a lot more current than 10 years old to even BEGIN to experience what modern Macs are like. You certainly don't have to buy new, but I'd suggest at least something from 2009 or later as your budget allows. The refurbished Mac minis from Apple are cheap, powerful AND have a warranty, that's an excellent starting point for any new Mac explorer.

OP
O
Reaction score
All good info thx guys it was an impulse buy as I wanted 2 see if i could do it. Will do what I can to it as a practice machine. Getting macbook soon and be looking at iPads. As it had been 17 years since I used a Mac wanted a cheapo 2 test 1st rather kill a cheap machine than an expensive 1. With windoze dying out to need to evolve wish I had of years ago. I still have prob 98% of original papers and all for it and its clean it will have a vintage value 1day to

OP
O
Reaction score
New to Mac need advice

Hi I recently purchased an old emac the specs are as follows.
Power PC G4 3.3
Processor: 1ghz
RAM 256gig
HD a 57gig
I am new to mac and am aware this is an old machine but want to learn sum where. What if any upgrades can I make to the hardware am thinking RAM 4 a start. Have done some work with PC and laptop hardware recently decided to try Mac as it had been nearly 17 years. Am also and avid Linux user if I may say that here..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think I pulled the correct machine based on the info you've given us.

The maximum amount of memory the machine can handle is 1 GB. This can be achieved by using 2 512 MB memory sticks to replace the existing ones. It uses 2 - PC-133 3.3 volt, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM

It originally shipped with OS X 10.3 and can only go to OS X 10.5.8. Personally I wouldn't bother with 10.5.8. Since it is no longer available from Apple it is running $75 to $100 or more on eBay. I am not sure you will like how that OS runs on 1 GB of ram. eMac: How to Install or Replace Memory. Hard drives are Ultra ATA

OP
O
Reaction score
Thx Slydude will explore and see.. Am also going 2 try and get work in Apple store even 1 day a week voluntree just to get the experience and good deals on 2nd hand iPhone and such as switching all across to Apple. Will continue Linux but as for windoze only 4 my course in Web Developement

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.