2011 MacBook Pro EFI Password locked

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2011 MC700LL/A on ebay and when i attempt to boot up i get the flashing question mark folder, and when i press option/insert install cd etc.. the padlock wanting a password shows up. I've tried the RAM removal and NVRAM/PRAM reset trick but that does not work on models made since 2011.
Is taking it to an Apple store my only option? if so how much does that usually cost?

Thanks

20140720_175533.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why not ask the eBay seller about it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
the padlock wanting a password shows up. I've tried the RAM removal and NVRAM/PRAM reset trick but that does not work on models made since 2011.
Is taking it to an Apple store my only option? if so how much does that usually cost?

Member Lifeisabeach gave you a good answer. Hopefully you did not pay cash for the machine? Apple will not remove an EFI password lock unless you can show proof of ownership. It's possible the machine was stolen and then sold on eBay. Or it may have been an oversight by the seller.

OP
R
Reaction score
I contacted the seller but have not yet received a response. In the listing it says "as-is no returns" but he made NO mention of this EFI problem, it only said "Has No Hard Drive Will Not Load OS Has No Screws In Bottom Cover Sold As Is No Warranty No Returns No Refunds" so i assumed it was just a hard drive issue, otherwise i wouldn't have bought it. Hopefully i'll be able to return since the item was "not as described" but if that doesn't work out i wanted to see if i had some type of back up plan

OP
R
Reaction score
I just opened an "item not as described" case for the transaction with ebay. Even though it was listed "As-Is" you'd think that due to it possibly being stolen merchandise that ebay would side with me. I guess we'll see...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No hard drive and sold "as is"? It's hot. Couldn't wipe the drive due to EFI lock, so he pulled it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I contacted the seller but have not yet received a response. In the listing it says "as-is no returns" but he made NO mention of this EFI problem, it only said "Has No Hard Drive Will Not Load OS Has No Screws In Bottom Cover Sold As Is No Warranty No Returns No Refunds" so i assumed it was just a hard drive issue, otherwise i wouldn't have bought it. Hopefully i'll be able to return since the item was "not as described" but if that doesn't work out i wanted to see if i had some type of back up plan

99% chance this seller knew all about this EFU password issue. Believe me...the "as-is no returns" is not as legally binding as it sounds. If you paid via Paypal...open a dispute if the seller does not agree to help you with the problem...or accept the return.

High probability that Paypal will refund the money.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah i've dealt with "item not as described" cases before and ebay is usually really good about it, i just don't remember the "as-is no returns" being in any of the previous ones. I've seen people try and use "as-is" as some kind of pass to not be responsible for anything they didn't mention though.

OP
R
Reaction score
The seller also has a 100% feedback rating with 1840 sales!! so it seems odd i would be intentionally scammed by someone like that, i'm sure eBay would feel the same way...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The seller also has a 100% feedback rating with 1840 sales!! so it seems odd i would be intentionally scammed by someone like that...

Ahem...I guess you don't know that positive feedback (and eBay accounts in general) can be faked, mocked up, whatever you want to call it.

I'm not saying this seller did this. But it's always possible.

i'm sure eBay would feel the same way...

Really...do you work for eBay or Paypal?? If not...then I would say you don't have (or do I) any expertise to come to this conclusion! If you want to give up...and say you're beaten before you even start to fight...then go ahead...up to you.

I'll make the suggestion once more. If the seller doesn't want to help you out with this issue...and you paid with Paypal...then open up a dispute. What do you have to lose?? If they rule in your favor...you get your money back. If they rule against you...you're back exactly where you are now (stuck with a non-working computer). But at least you tried!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already DID file a claim and never said i was just gonna give up ;)

OK...good deal!:) I would file a dispute with Paypal as well (if you paid with Paypal). Paypal is where the money is.;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
If he doesn't respond by tomorrow or tuesday i'll definitely do that, it IS the weekend so i'll give him some leeway

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If he doesn't respond by tomorrow or tuesday i'll definitely do that, it IS the weekend so i'll give him some leeway

I think technically...ebay/Paypal suggest giving the other party something like 2 weeks to "make things right" before initiating any disputes.

But in my experience...this is just a waste of time. If the seller doesn't reply to messages...or flat out says NO...no need wasting 2 weeks.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.