Mac Forums Sunday Chat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes they are still being recorded. You click on the link above it takes you to the recording. Each link takes you to the show if it is still going on and the recording if it has ended. Shortly after the show I post a link to the notes in this thread.

The last few shows have made use of screencasts since I am having some lighting issues. I'm trying to revamp the show a bit while I have time this summer so I am open for suggestions.

Some of the things I am thinking about include:
1. Opening theme music
2. Occasional background music to punctuate certain stories / segments.

I can pick a better day/time if that gets more live viewers/participation.

BTW What do you guys think about breaking the tips out into separate videos of say about five minutes each and calling them something like mac-Forums Five Minute Fixes with links beneath the video going back to any relevant forum threads.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thanks Jake, guess I've already missed it for this week, will try again next time now that I have location.

Check out Earthdesk, I came across it a few years ago, excellent for seeing what other peoples time zones are. There is a free trial version.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it help in the future if I gave the time in GMT in addition to the way I am doing it now? I think I can get the difference between mt time and GMT figured out by Sunday.;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a great idea about giving the time in GMT. Also thanks to Bob for the link to the Earthdesk app. Another idea, is if you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use the "Clock" app to setup whatever cities or time zones you wish. For example: From Bali... just type in a city in the US central time zone (Chicago) and you'll have the local time difference from where you are to Slydude's video broadcasts.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was looking up some info on the difference between GMT and my time zone when I found this page. It has some interesting time – related tools that some of you may find helpful.

BTW I like that use of the iPhone Charlie. I have a couple of those clocks set on my phone to remind me not to call at bizarre times for a few people that are several time zones away from.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. 7:00 -p.m. US Central Time (12:00 a.m. GMT 7/4/16). We'll have the usual forum roundup and if all goes well a quick project. Click the link while the show is happening and you see it live otherwise the link plays the recorded video of the show. If you want to participate in the show by audio/video you'll need the Google Chat Plugin.

Need to know the time in your area?
This page (dead link removed) will give you GMT when you tell it the time in your corner of the world. All you have to do is give it a location in your Time Zone.

Show Notes In lieu of the usual shot format I did a sort of "quick and dirty" video describing using QuickTime Player to do a screen recording. A few basic editing tricks were also covered. Future tips like this will be a bit shorter.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight (12:00 a.m. Monday GMT) for the July 17, 2016 Mac-Forums Video Chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind.

If you want to participate in the show by audio/video you'll need the Google Chat Plugin.
This page (dead link removed) will give you GMT when you tell it the time in your corner of the world. All you have to do is give it a location in your Time Zone.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time Monday July 25, 2016 (12:00 a.m. Tuesday GMT) for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind.

If you want to participate in the show by audio/video you'll need the Google Chat Plugin.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe you can talk about Tom's post regarding Apple IDs and iCloud that we made into a sticky?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read that post just a bit ago. That's a good idea. Glad to see it was turned into a sticky.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight (12:00 a.m. Monday GMT) for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind.

Show Notes

Welcome to our newest member, EricSten

EFI Password protection on 2011 and newer systems

Member KevinJS shows us how to add keyboard shortcuts for non-standard characters in IOS

Open apps in Low Resolution mode
If you notice that an app looks different than you expect on your Retina display, try opening the app using Low Resolution mode:
1. Quit the app if it's open.
2. In the Finder, go to the Applications folder.
3. In the Applications folder, single-click the icon for the app you want to open on low resolution mode.
4. Choose Get Info from the File menu.
5. Place a checkmark next to "Open in Low Resolution" option.

Get more resolutions for your external display
You can see more resolution options for your external display by holding down the Option key while clicking the Scaled button.

Bloomberg says the Apple Store app will soon take a more active role in recommending products to you.
The update to the app will use your buying history in order to recommend products it thinks will interest you

CultofMac reports that Apple Map users should have more data about parking lots and garages around the world, Apple has partnered with Parkopedia to provide detailed information on more that 40 million parking spots in 75 countries around the world. Exact final release date for this info hasn’t been announced.

CultofMac says a new startup company is planning to compete with iCloud. Upthere is launching an IOS app that allows users to store photos in their cloud. They’re trying to develop a cloud-based system that is faster and better integrated than iCloud. Content you upload to their servers can be searched across multiple devices. In a cursory look at the company website/description it looks like private sharing is similar to MobileMe’s ability to share links to files with others.

Rumor has it that Apple may bring iris scanning to the iPhone as early as 2018. If that timeline holds they may not be first to market with this feature. Samsung is rumored to have a version of this feature later in 2016.

Kirk the iTunes Guy McElhearn gives us a nice overview of the first introduced as AirTunes in 2004.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight (12:00 a.m. Monday GMT) for the August 7, 2016 Mac-Forums Video Chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind. If all goes well I'll have a tip that almost brings back a feature from iTunes 10 that I miss.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight (12:00 a.m. Monday GMT) for the August 14,20156 Mac-Forums Video Chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind.

Show Notes

Welcome to our newest member saber192004

File this one under the heading of “sometimes you have to watch your Mac carefully to figure out what it’s doing. Mac-Forums member kathik started a thread wondering why emails which had been deleted were suddenly re-appearing. It turns out that the search results were showing mail items that were in the trash that had already been a leader that had already been deleted.

This often happens if you’re using Spotlight to do the search. You have to look carefully at the results to notice that spotlight has looked into the trash. One way to avoid this problem is to conduct the search from within the mail program. Select a specific mailbox in the sidebar. If you select inbox iMail seems to search the trash anyway.

If you are a recent switcher from the Windows operating system and you miss the behavior of the Word and Excel clipboard in Windows have a look at this thread. It has some suggestions for re-creating this behavior in the Mac operating system.

Kirk The iTunes Guy is back with another of his Hey Apple Fix This columns this time he takes on some of the problems with using Siri. I can attest to personal experience with some of these problems.

Fairly extensive list of commands Siri understands (dead link removed).

If you’re the proud owner of an Apple TV for you might be surprised to know that theory enabled remote that ships with that device can be used to control your Mac via Bluetooth. It will give you their mental controls unless you add a free app called Siri mode. For more details and the download link see this article

(dead links removed)

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight (12:00 a.m. Monday GMT) for the August 21,2016 Mac-Forums Video Chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight (12:00 a.m. Monday GMT) for the August 28, 2016 Mac-Forums Video Chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind.

Had to restart the show due to technical issues. Here's the link https://plus.google.com/events/crffd...a250htnv2acmf0

Show Notes

Newest member christhefur

Mac-Forums member has a few questions about entering and exiting full screen mode. In recent versions of OS X one enters full screen model by clicking the green button in the upper left corner of the window. Exit full screen mode by doing either of the following:

1. Move the cursor to the very top of the screen and click where the menu bar should be.
  2. Press the Esc key

Member MikeFromMesa has discovered that each time one inserts a camera card into the Mac Photos gets launched. This also happens if some other program is used to edit photos. Deleting pictures from the card then formatting the card causes the program to start launching again, If you ask it not to do that again then format the card the whole process repeats itself. This happens because each time the card is reformatted OS X sees the card as a new device and assumes you want to launch the Photos program. There are a couple of fixes posted in the thread including this one.

Graham Cluley writing for The Mac Security Blog has tips for stopping the IOS browser pop up scam. This pop up window occurs while using Safari on an IOS device suggests that one needs to call an 800 number for tech support. The number is a scam of course and calling it leads to someone asking for credit card information.

Here’s an alternate solution:

1. Place the phone in Airplane mode.
  2. Go to Settings > Safari
  3. Click on Clear History and Website Data

Other users have reported that it helps to ensure that Block Pop-ups is enabled (also found under Settings > Safari).

Earlier this week Apple released IOS 9.3.5 Update to thwart Pegasus Spyware. This spyware sends victims a phishing text containing a malicious URL. When opened the page content exploits vulnerabilities giving the attacker access to messages, calls, emails, and the logs to a variety of apps.

If Apple stays on its usual OS release schedule the new macOS (a.k.a. Sierra) will probably be released sometime in mid October. Writing in the Mac Security Blog Kirk McElhearn as some thoughts about preparing your system for Sierra

Sent from my iPhone is no longer a stigma

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll likely be AFK at chat time tonight. Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time Monday, September 5, 2016 (12:00 a.m. Tuesday GMT) for the Mac-Forums Video Chat. We have the forum roundup, a Mac tip or two, and perhaps whatever else comes to mind.

This page (dead link removed) will give you GMT when you tell it the time in your corner of the world. All you have to do is give it a location in your Time Zone

Show Notes

Welcome to our newest member bwright4

Apple has filed new patents which suggest they are working on additional methods of biometric identification. This appears to be partly in an attempt to address issues related to lost or stolen Macs/IOS devices. This thread may be the start if an interesting discussion on the pros and cons of such measures.

Once again the BitTorrent client Transmission may have been the point of distribution for a round of malware. This Macworld
article summarizes the issues involved and gives readers tips on how to determine if your machine has been infected.

Member Adric asks for a quick and dirty method to create a looping video. My solutions didn't exactly solve the the problem but might help someone else.

Member Randy B. Singer posted a reference to an article which explains why defragmenting an SSD drive is likely of little value.

Cult of Mac has a series of articles detailing some of the speculation about iPhone 7

Since I haven't been following too many of the iPhone rumors I wasn't going to make any comments / predictions. Charlie twisted my arm though (see post below) so here goes:
1. The 3.5 mm. headphone jack is gone from the iPhone 7. Expect a dongle that allows users to use their existing headsets/earbuds. I'm betting there'll also be some Beats headphones that connect via Lightning.
2. Faster processors.
3. The smallest amount of storage on subsequent IOS devices will be 32 GB. The days of 16 GB IOS devices as the entry level are done.
4. Final releases of Sierra and IOS 10 will be released between now and the middle of October. My guess is they will be released before the end of the month.

I'm sure there'll be a few things I haven't mentioned/thought of but we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Sly... Lots of good rumors running around about what the big Apple show is going to include next week. Anything in your rumor mill you going to share? New iPhone 7, new Watch, maybe new MacBook Pros, macOS Sierra, iOS 10, and more. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Seems there's a possibility of some upmarket Beats headphones for iPhone 7 to sweeten the loss of the headphone socket.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to MacRumors, Apple is including an adapter (lightning to headphone) in every iPhone 7 box. And yes, an upmarket Beats headphone set for the iPhone 7 would be great.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Charlie. See above (post 436) for my predictions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.