Mac Forums Sunday Chat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Join me for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat at 7:00 p.m. tonight as usual (Midnight GMT). We're back after a brief weather-related hiatus last week. We'll have the usual forum roundup, a tip, or two, and a discussion of some features you might sent to look for in a weather app.

I was able to do the show tonight after running a bit late. I noticed that the audio pictured up a bit of an echo. I'll fix that tomorrow and post a version with better audio tomorrow along with the show notes.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. Central time tonight (Midnight GMT) for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. I'm still working on the content for the show but we'll likely have a tip or two and unless something goes seriously wrong I'll have a summary and some thoughts about Apple's WWDC
announcements.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Sly:

Might be a good time to mention that "High Sierra" will employ APFS (which is ungoing beta testing right now) and that many of the utilities that we routinely use will have to be re-written in order to work properly. Folks that have fallen behind in updating OS X are really going to be left in the dust in the near future - starting with High Sierra.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been going through the keynote address for about the last hour o so and that occurred to me when I saw the slide about directory cloning. I would bet that many of our file level utilities in particular will need to be updated as will things like SuperDuper and CCC.

BTW I did not see anything in the keynote about iOS breaking 32 bit apps though I suspect it will. Have you seen anything definite about that. And thanks f9or that reminder looking at the notes I had not put in the warning.

Show Notes

Welcome to Retros90 our newest member

If your Mac is trying to log into the App Store with the wrong Apple ID try logging out of the App Store completely. Don’t just quit the program. When you try to log back in you should be able to use the Apple ID you want to use. See here.

How iCloud’s two factor authentication might affect the apps you use

Right clicking on a sender’s address in Mail allows you to add the email address to a new contact card. If you want to add the address to an existing card, right-click the address and choose copy. Then open Contacts and create the new card before pasting in the address. See here

My Take On Apple’s WWDC Announcements Watch the Keynote here Lasts about 2 hours and 19 minutes

Apple’s annual Worldwide Developer Conference was held in San Jose, CA on June 5, 2017. It’s the first WWDC event held in San Jose in 15 years. There were 3 million new developers signed up in the last year. One student developer mentioned during the event started developing at age 6 and has five apps in app store. The oldest developer is 82. I’m wearing the Mac-Forums digital dunce cap for forgetting the date of the event. It’s the first time in years I’ve missed the broadcast.

The TV OS continues to improve. The recently released search app for started with 50 content partners that could be searched. More are bing added. Amazon will be bringing Amazon Prime to the Apple TV ecosystem. Currently the only way to view Amazon Prime on the Apple TV is to open the content on your iPhone/iPads then use AirPlay to pass it to the Apple TV. There was no mention of any upcoming hardware improvements to the Apple TV. I wasn’t expecting any since three years elapsed between the ATV 3 and ATV 4.

Apple Watch OS is up to version 4. The Siri based watch face can present into dynamically based on location, time etc. More characters have been added to the Toy Story face. Activity challenges based on past performance. Real-time data exchange with some fitness equipment from major manufacturers roll out this fall.More support for background operations such as navigation.

The newest incarnation of MacOS will be named High Sierra. Improvements include:
1. Safari is faster, includes blocking of autoplaying elements, and Intelligent tracking protection to protect privacy.
2. Mail searches now use Spotlight and includes split view mode for composing mail.
3. Numerous improvements to Photos — import show in chronological, new editing tools, edits and photo categories synch across devices
4. HFS/HFS+ will no longer be the file system. The new Apple file system new one should be much better at organizing/handling the large number of files on modern systems. Duplicating files was significantly faster in the demo. much faster. Do not use older disk utilities on disks formatted with the new file system until those utilities are updated.
5. Mac system animations will now use the Metal 2 framework. Metal 2 will support external GPUs over Thunderbolt and support for several VR formats.

High Sierra will be a free update later this Fall and runs on systems currently supporting Sierra (2010 MacBook AirAi, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and Mac, Pro 2009 MacBook iMac)

iMac improved with more color support, new 7th generation Intel processors, and hardware decoding of HD. The 21 in. models support up to 32 GB ram. and the 27 in. model supports a max of 64 GB. Two USB C connections supporting Thunderbolt 3. 80% faster than current systems on some tasks. I’m taking a wait and see attitude about this. Performance bumps for Laptops as well.

An iMac Pro line with 5K display will ship by the end of the year. Configurations vary from 8 to 18 core Xenon processors and Radeon Vega graphics most powerful mac 8 core xeon up to 18 Radeon Vega graphics up to 16 GB. This should give three times more performance than current iMac. Supports up to 128 GB of memory and up to 4 TB SSDs. sad. Base unit starts at about $5000.00.

IOS 11 Read this before you update -- especially if you are running older apps.
1. Messages now syncs conversations across devices via iCloud with end-to-end encryption.
2. Apple Pay will support person to person payments within conversations
3. Siri now supports more use of context to figure out user requests as well as numerous other improvements
4. Better integration of lock screen and notifications
5. Numerous improvements to Photos
6. . Maps can now give details in areas such as malls and airports. It will also give lane guidance which lets you know which lane to be in to make a turn. IOS will sense when a car is in motion and basically restrict some functions unless you tell it you are not the driver. This is, I think, a response to concerns raised recently about drivers being distracted by their devices.

App Store getting a redesign. Review/approval process for apps is being reduced with some approved within a few hours of submission.

IPAD Pro 10.5 in. screen with up to 120 Hz. refresh rates. The refresh rate will change based on what is being viewed. Static photos could, for example, use a lower refresh rate than say watching 4 K high-def video. Changes were also made to the way user files are organized.

As I mentioned earlier there was no mention of changes to the Mac Pro line. Rumor has it that an announcement about that will be made in early 2018. My personal thought is that if sales of the iMac Pro lines takes off the Mac Pro line will be discontinued. These two product lines are aimed at the same user base (creative pros). Neither the Mac Pro or future iMac Pro are aimed at the consumer user though I’m sure Apple won’t mind if you purchase one.

My birthday is shortly before the iMac Pros are slanted to be released. If someone is wondering about a birthday/Christmas present we can work something out. These notes are a bit more detailed than I had intended but I hope you find them useful

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
BTW I did not see anything in the keynote about iOS breaking 32 bit apps though I suspect it will. Have you seen anything definite about that. And thanks f9or that reminder looking at the notes I had not put in the warning.

Here is the link about iOS 11 and 32 bit iOS apps.

There are several other links and also a reminder in this month's MacLife Magazine about that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that link Charlie. I'm cleaning up my notes now and will post them later tonight. I'll add that information to it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 P.m. tonight (midnight GMT( for the Mac-Forums video chat. We'll have the forum roundup as well as an assortment of Mac-relate news and tips. I'm still working on the specific tips so stay tuned.

Show Notes

Welcome to our newest member, Jgibbs347

Sometimes our members are convinced that Apple wants to force users to use there software as opposed to third-party software. If you are convinced that apple's shift to two factor authentication for applications locks out third-party apps check out this thread. It contains several examples in the links for how to set up third-party mail apps.

Many users have set up passwords set up to prevent users from seeing their screen contents once the screen goes to sleep. Seeing the screen content requires entering a password. If you go into the Security and Privacy preference pane and remove the password option anyone can see your screen. This is true even if the Mac shuts down due to lack of power. When power is restored people will be able to see the screen content without entering the password. See here.

Recently announced iMacs do not support Target Display Mode. If this feature, which allows some iMacs to be used as a second monitors for other Macs, is important to you give this Macworld article by Macworld Senior Editor Roman Loyola a quick read. Hint: Recently announced iMacs don't seem to support this feature.

If you are thinking of updating to IOS 11 when it's released, keep in mind that 32-bit apps will no longer be supported in IOS 11. Techradar's Alan Stonebridge shares some thoughts on identifying 32-bit IOS apps and preparing for the change.

Forum administrator chscag reminded me that after January 1, 2018 Apple will no longer support 32 bit apps in OS X. This could affect a number of currently popular apps including Office 2011. This may require either updating some apps to 64 bit option such as Office 2016 or shifting to alternative apps such as Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. You can identify which software titles on your Mac are 32 bit, and perhaps in need of an upgrade, by doing the following:

1. Go to the Apple menu in the upper left of the screen and choose About This Mac
2. In the screen that appears choose "System Report . . ."
3. In the lest of options at the left select Software (click to expand the disclosure triangle if necessary).
4. Click "Applications" in the list. It may take your Mac a few moments to generate the results.
5. When the results appear if you do not see a column on the far right that says 64 bit grab the side of the window and expand it to the right a bit. You should now see a column that says 64 but with a Yes/No answer for each item. That may help you a bit in deciding which apps need to be examined further.

I suspect that after there new OS is released sites such as Roaring Apps may be able to provide more information

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to mention that after Jan 1, 2018 Apple will no longer support 32 bit apps for OS X. Which means an important change occuring with APFS and High Sierra coming up. Also might want to mention that since Office 2011 is 32 bit we really do not know what its status will be in the near future. Microsoft is dropping support for Office 2011 in 2018. Looks like we might be forced to upgrade to Office 2016 or go with Pages. I have a copy of Office 2016 but do not like it and probably will go with Pages for my work. I no longer exchange documents with anyone else so it doesn't matter that I switch.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Charlie. I was going to have some general thoughts on upgrading and recommendations on who should hold off for a bit. I had missed that announcement about Office though so I will definitely include that as one reason some users will want to hold off a bit or start looking for alternatives.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tonight's video chat is up forum roundup asks how long there'll be support for El Capitan, Bootcamp and external drive, battery calibration on laptops, and an iCloud password issue. Our IOS tips show you how to control message notification on the lock screen and how to enable private browsing in Safari. There's a bonus link in the show nots about organizing videos in iTunes.

Show Notes

How long will Apple Support El Capitan At this point that's anyone's guess and there has been no official announcement. I think, whenever it happens, we may see phased out support. If that is the case security updates might
continue for some period of time after other updates have ended.

Using an external drive for boot camping Windows As Charlie points out an external drive can't be used to boot Windows under Bootcamp. This is part of Microsoft Windows anti-piracy measures.

If your Mac has been declared "vintage" by Apple you may find that Apple no longer offers replacement batteries for your machine. Some third-party batteries work better than others. The battery calibration tips often used in troubleshooting usually only work well with Apple batteries. If you are forced to use third-party batteries find out the vendor's return policy in case the battery does not perform well.

iCloud Apple ID issues in IOS 10

Turn on "Do Not Disturb" for individual message conversations in IOS 10.

Don't want the content of your messages showing on your lock screen? Here's how to fix it.

Enable private browsing in Safari on IOS 10.

Bonus tips from the iTunes Guy Might be helpful if you are having video issues.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been AFK most of the day today. Look for the Mac-Forums video chat tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. (Midnight GMT instead). I'll post a link later tonight.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me tonight for the Mac-Forums Sunday Video Chat at 7:00 p.m. US Central Time (Midnight GMT). We'l have the usual forum roundup, and a few Mac tips and tricks. I'm still working on the specific tips for this week but the forum roundup will included some thoughts on the value of UPS units and one or two key features to look for when purchasing them. Wan't to identify bogus Magsafe chargers I'll have some tips on that as well.

Show Notes

There's another forum thread about the use of anti virus software on the Mac. This post by member Randy B. Singer has links to a few free and practical guides to Mac security. Thanks Randy.

If you need your Mac to show characters in something other than your main language this thread explains how its done. This is a feature I often forget about. Thanks for the reminder Charlie.

If you have been dual boot Linux and Mac OS you may have difficulty booting into MacOs if the Linux partition is removed. The issue often boils down to GRUB overwriting/changing the EFI partition that the Mac normally uses to boot. This thread gives you a solution. Hint: It's not sufficient to merely boot into the recovery partition. You are probably going to have to completely reformat the drive. You have a backup don't you?

Member Randy B. Singer points out that when looking for a new UPS unit one feature you might want to look for is automatic voltage regulation. This feature can be very helpful in evening out power where so you are not experiencing power spikes and sags.

Identifying phony MagSafe adapters

Pairing Bluetooth keyboards with IOS devices This should work for any bluetooth keyboard. I might try this with one of the keyboards that ca pair with multiple devices at the same time. You can rotate through the paired devices depending upon which key is pressed.

If you are experiencing battery drain on your IOS devices take a look at this tip. It's important to determine whether there are any apps set to do background refresh. This is common among some social media apps and other things such as weather apps that can be set to request frequent data updates. Turning this features off for those apps that don't really need background updating can save you quite a bit of battery life. Especially if you are in a setting where your iPhone/iPad has to search for a network connection.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This week's Mac-Forums video chat will be on Monday July 17, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. I'll post a link as well as a more complete rundown sometime tomorrow.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Sly...

Would appreciate it if you would mention about the Premium Membership billing problem. I guess it depends on who joins the chat but most of the folks who like to chat are also Premium Members.

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reminder. That hadn't occurred to me. I'll be sure to mention iy.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 p.m. tonight (Midnight GMT) for the Mac-Forums video chat. We'll have the usual forum roundup, a few MacOS tips, and probably an IOS tip or two. I'm working in the specific tips so tune in tonight to see what I'm up to.

I'm having to re-record last nigh's show because something went wrong saving the file. I'm not sure what time today I'll do that but I'll post here when the recording is done. Look for several iTunes tips, and an IOS tip for the camera.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 P.M. tonight (Midnight GMT) for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. In addition to the usual forum roundup I'll include some thoughts about using your IOS device as a presentation tool.

I'd planned to include some thoughts about using your IOS device as a scanner but I think I'll push that to next week so the show doesn't run too long.

Show Notes

If you are interested in an alternative to the Mail program Apple includes in MacOS check out some of the programs that are available. Thanks to Forum member Randy B. Singer for the links to some of the options.

Also be aware that Apple has recently released updates for macOS Sierra (not the High Sierra beta), IOS 10, and iTunes. The IOS update includes some important security fixes.

Apple recently announced that beginning in 2018 App Store submissions will need to be for 64 bit apps. See Here. That does not mean that 32-bit apps will stop working on the Mac immediately. There will come a day though where 32-bit apps will no longer work with a future OS Here's a search technique to identify 32 bit apps on your Mac and identifying things that will eventually need replacement.

If you watch the video I demonstrate how to add additional search criteria to the ones which appear if you use Command F to initiate a search in the Finder.

If color-blindness makes using IOS devices difficult for you or someone you know
try the following tip from Conner Carey at iPhone Life:
1. In your IOS device go to Settings>General then select Accessibility.
2. Tap Display Accommodations then select Color Filters to turn the filters on.
3. This leaves you with five choices for color tints that can be applied. Choose the one that meets your needs.

How to save web pages to the reading list in the IOS version of Safari.

I spent a few minutes talking about several tips for0 using your iPhone as a presentation tool. If you need to connect to an interactive whiteboard or projector this segment may be useful to you.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 P.M. tonight (Midnight GMT) for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. In addition to the usual forum roundup I'll include some thoughts about using your IOS device as a document camera and scanner.

We had numerous technical issues tonight. Some were technical/crashes and some were PEBCAK issues. I will post a good recording tomorrow. Look for it and the show notes by early afternoon.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 P.M. tonight (Midnight GMT) for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. In addition to the usual forum roundup I'll include some tips for the Calendar and Preview apps and an IOS tip for identifying apps that may not longer be updated.

Show Notes

If you are scanning things with your Mac and find that the file sizes are rather large this can usually be corrected somewhat. One good way is to adjust the scanner settings in software. You can also try the following in Preview (free in the Applications folder on your Mac);
1. Open the file you want to shrink in Preview and save it as a PDF if it isn't one already.
2. Chose File>Export
3. Change the Quartz Filter setting from "None" to "Reduce File Size" and save the file.

I used a 269K .jpg and it initially became a 273k pdf. Applying the Reduce File Size filter dropped the finished file size to 29k.I suspect that the degree of size savings depends upon how many graphics there are in the original file.

The other formats available are graphics formats. Changing the file size involves adjusting either the number of pixels per inch or compression quality. See this thread.

Thoughts on choosing the right charging adapter for your Apple gizmos. See here and here.

When you are trying to import events/calendars into the Mac Calendar program the dialog can make it appear that single events are being imported rather than an entire calendar. This is not entirely accurate. If the ics file you import is a calendar then all of the events in the calendar are imported.

If you want to merge multiple calendars into a single calendar right click the first calendar to be merged and selected the calendar it will be merged into. The calendar you will be merging into must already exist so create it first if necessary. See here.

Identifying IOS software which may no longer have updates available.

10 Apple TV apps for watching free movies and TV online - legally. Even if you don't have an Apple TV some of these apps have iPad /iPhone versions.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Join me at 7:00 P.M. tonight (Midnight GMT) for the weekly Mac-Forums video chat. In addition to the usual forum roundup I'll include some information on Apple-related phishing scams, and we'll look at two methods for disabling Air Drop on your IOS devices.

Show Notes

We've had a number of apparent instances of trolling in the forum recently. Most of this has been handled behind-the-scenes by forum staff. Recently someone has created usernames very similar to those of some staff members. If you receive a PM or other contact from someone, please check carefully to make sure that the PM is someone from someone on the staff. If you are not sure contact one of the staff directly. See this thread for details.

If you're new to the forum and writing your first post this thread will help you write a quality post with the kind of information we need to help solve your problem a little faster.

Apple's thoughts on avoiding phishing scams.

Think your Apple ID has been disabled these tips may help.

Some scammers have started spoofing their phone number to match that of Apple's flagship NYC store. See here.

Transferring iMessage history from one machine to another.
1. In iMessage Preferences check "Save history when conversations are closed"
2. From Finder's G0 menu select Go To Folder (Apple, Shift, G) and enter ~/Library/Messages
3. Move the folders Archive, Attachments, and the file chat.db to the same location in your user library on the new machine.

Some users have begun sending inappropriate content to other users via the AirDrop feature See here You can solve the problem by swiping upward on your IOS device to access the control center. Change your AirDrop setting to either "From Contacts Only" or "No one" You can also control AirDrop settings by enabling restrictions on your IOS device and turning of AirDrop Access. I do a quick demo of both in the show. Directions for enabling restrictions are here.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.